Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is it unethical? Unpolitical? Please aid me.

Discussion in 'Quiz Me!' started by meesher, Oct 3, 2014.

1. meesher

meesher New Member

Every few weeks, I drag out my father's shadow box, stare at his face (photos of him before he made me) and wonder what he felt on the day he threw himself in front of bullets to save other people? But, more importantly, I wonder if I have done a dis-service to his Silver Star? I recently took it off its ribbon, and put it on my keychain. It gives me a daily reminder that my father fought and ultimately died for my freedoms. And what a wonderful smile he had, and how gentle he was. The man never hit either of us. Never. He grew up in an era when children were struck with belts and hands, and he simply refused to ever do that to his children. I think I have lived up to the honor: I had a license to practice law in California, and I am living proof that I have managed to rear a generation of well educated kids who have never been hit for anything. Grounded, yes. Allowance withdrawal, yes. But no hitting. But I digress, as I often do. Is it shameful that I bandy his Silver Star on my keychain? When not driving, my keychain is attached to my purse with a sailing toggle, and that has a baby bell on it, so that there is alot of tinkling noise when I am walking around. The Star starts conversations. I like that. I never was able to brag about my Daddy because he simply would not budge on telling us what he did in the war. Stonewalled, we were. Now I am blushing regularly. I am so very proud that my Daddy was part of keeping our nation together. Untarnished. Unblemished, although I admit to not being keen on the war in Viet Nam. (If you liked Viet Nam, just wait to see IRAQ!)

May I carry his Silver Star on my keychain? Is it irreverant? My e is meesher@pacbell.net. meesher@pacbell.net. And yes, my husband's name is also Jim, but my Daddy's name was, of course, Daddy!

Thanks to all of you.
    Michele McKenzie
    (Mrs James S Sherrod II)

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Your medal.
    Your Dad.
    Do whatever feels right.

3. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I think it is wonderful.

You know what it stands for and it means a great deal to you.

I wouldn't like it if someone used it for a decoration and had no connection to the person who earned it.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

If it helps you to remember him, why not? The star is a reminder of his heroism, not the heroism itself. I agree with Adam, do whatever you think is right.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I agree with Lou and Adam as well. My only concern is that the medal could be damaged or inadvertently lost during day to day use if used as you described to us. But I strongly believe that it's your call all the way and understand your reasoning. I wouldn't do it, but it ain't my dad or medal we are talking about here. I hope that it continues to bring you closer to your dad's memory.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

IMHO. you are honoring your father by having it on your keychain, so why not...

That being said, it is the original, and "I" would not want that lost or damaged under any circumstances...Say, scratched or othewise by being repetitively banged against other pieces of metal, such as keys. "Replacement" Silver Stars can be had for fairly "cheap($20-$30), I would much rather have that lost than the original medal...Just my opinion...Might save you a lot of grief later on, by getting a "replacement" medal for daily use, while keeping the original safe & sound.

von Poop likes this.
  7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I confirm, there are so many people who would throw these "things" away ...... Paying a tribute to a loved one is an honorable thing. If someone asks you why you wear it, tell him.
    No-one decent will accuse you of posing, and if they do..... use the freedom you owe to your dad to tell them to go elsewhere.... :poppy:

8. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

My opinion is - Why would the opinions of strangers matter in the slightest regarding such a personal decision? :)

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I think you have answered your own question here.

10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I agree that what she is doing is a perfectly acceptable way of honoring her father.

As for Skipper's concern:
    You may not have an accurate understanding of who poser's are. They are people that wear military uniforms and awards and badges that they did not earn, in an effort to mislead people as to their military service. The OP isn't going around wearing the medal pretending that she earned it in combat herself, so she isn't posing. If she were wearing a minature of the medal on her lapel at events and regaling anyone that would listen with stories about how she ran classified missions into Laos during Vietnam, as the first female SEAL, and got the award for single handedly killing a company of NVA with her knife. Then she'd probably be accused of being a poser.

11. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Agreed. Your connection is all that matters.