Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is it worth digging for WW2 relics

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by skywalker, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aru-Ed

Aru-Ed Member

Thanks for the warning, i'm as carefull as i can be, always!

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

It all boils down to a matter of opinion as well as how much respect a person has for the deceased-and also if the item was "found or dug-up" at some Grave site. For the most part-on those who do profit from obtaining these relics from what they KNOW as a grave site-yes-I have a negative opinion about those people. However, if a person just happens to be walking along and finds a relic and who not-knowingly knows that that site COULD contain the remains of a Gent who walked that ground-fought and died there-then I do not hold a negative opinion about that person.

Now in the case of digs happening at ancient places of note-thevast majority of those cases are so opposite than that of those who are profiteers of grave sites. I used to go on "Digs" with a group from the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History-knowing that artifacts we found could have come from a person who died at that spot.

One of the main differences between an expedition doing the dig-or some scoundrel of a profiteer digging at a known grave site-is that Museums and Scientists do not do the relic-finds for profit-bt for prosperity-and it is also a way of ensuring the memories of those who died at that sopt-or location. More than one person benefits from sich digs-but a person who buys dug-up relics-is one of few who will benefit from such a find.

So in essance-yeah-I personally do have a problem with those who knowingly rob graves making a profit from it. I however, do not have a problem with a person finding that rusted helmet-if they were walking down Utah Beach.

Also, like you said, in different words of course) that if a person on such profiteering digs does find the remains of a deceased Soldier-and that he goes to any length of so-called "trouble" in notifying proper Authorities-that it makes robbing that soldiers final resting place-an OK thing to do-is nothing but bunkem and bosh. Also, a profiteer is most unlikely willing to take the time and trouble of notifying the proper authorities in the first place and who is in a hurry to place his findings up for sale. Therefore, that soldiers final resting place is likely to never be reported-and the man is then truely lost to history.

That practice is nothing but a disgusting practice.

3. skywalker

skywalker Member

But is everyone who digs doing it for profit, or for themselves because they collect WWII relics. I dont really think people walk down Utah beach an find helmets, not these days. Albeit you do make a good point, but not one I entirely agree with.
    In regards to the Eastern Front arent the majority of graves unmarked ?
    Admittedly either way the prosperity of those relics live on, regardless of whos doing it. After viewing the videos on youtube an reading the comments it seems to be a pretty widespread practice.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes there are distinctions to be made. As Martin says, there is nothing worse than robbing burial sites, I know these things happen but they are fortunately marginal.
    However finding relics , even if it's just a piece of worthless iron is like finding a treasure for a child. There is a sentimental value for the collector who went through a lot of trouble to get these objects. I will always value certan piece smore than others. I once found a tiny part of an me- 109 windshield (4 x3cm) . I love it because it is something you cannot find with a detector , so it was pure luck and I like to think it's the last thing the pilot looked through before bailing out.
    Also what I find, I keep and restore with love. I'm not after profit and I want to preserve and save these relics and share them with others. (Now I must admit I get older and haven't been looking for relics for months) I never go out with the idea of selling what I might find. If I don't find anything that's fine too, I would just have spent a fine day reliving history.

5. skywalker

skywalker Member

Yes there are distinctions, yet how would a Russian relic hunter be able to tell the difference between an unmarked grave or perhaps the resting place of a helmet. If you are going out intentionally to find WWII relics there is a large possibility of coming across the remains of soldiers. Should the distinction be made between someone who robs known graves or an enthusiast who uncovers a helmet that happens to have a skull attached to it ?

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This discussion is beginning to go round and round in circles. Apparently you think it's OK to steal from the dead? that's disgusting to say the least.

Have a nice life-i'm outta here.

mikebatzel and Skipper like this.
  7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Sorry, but the thought that someone might steal from the dead instead of reporting such a find makes me vomit, there are some words that have some importance for me such as "morality", "respect of the dead" , and "sacrifice"

Since this is going nowhere this thread is now closed !

mikebatzel and Aru-Ed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.