Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Island hopping campaign

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by AmericanEagle, Apr 13, 2015.

1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

SO that was the thought behind it and it was thought by guys who are a lot smarter than you or I and they didn't have a crystal ball.

I am going to say what I always say about "Monday morning quarter backing": At the time it must have seemed like the right thing to do and there was undoubtedly a great deal of thought and planning that went into the decision. We have had this same argument about several battles in the Pacific: Tarawa, Pelilieu and Saipan. when the planning for Iwo began the powers that were had no idea about how effective the B-29's would be or how the Japanese would basically fold after the battle of Okinanwa. I am sure that if the planners had a crystal ball and were able to tell how costly Iwo was going to be and how effective B-29s would become, the Island hopping campaign would have looked much differently.

The thing to remember is that B-29 was less than a year in service when Iwo was invaded and they were only a wet dream when the planning began. I am sure that B-24's and B17's would have had a much greater need for Iwo had it not been for the B-29's success.

I'm not willing to poke my finger in the chest of history and tell them: "You F'd up and this whole thing wasn't necessary"

A-58 likes this.
  2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Ok I can see it from the angle you posted, and it does make sense. And the part about the Monday morning quarterbacking with the benefit of studies and studies and studies on the matter does bring it into more focus. Yes, going on the premise of "it was the right thing to do at the time based on what they were working with" has it's merits. I'll go along with it.

Man, that's a lot of beered up arguments at choir practice past that I have to go and undo now. Thanks. Gotta take a loan out at the bank to make it right.

But I still say that Tarawa and Peleliu were a total was of effort and assets. To a lesser degree so was Saipan. Once Tinian was secured, Saipan could have been neutralized. Not much of a need to go there.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Peleliu turned out to be unuseful, but that was discovered after it was taken. Tinian and Saipan were needed for air strips. We didn't know at the time how many we would need, so the pair was taken to ensure we wouldn't have to pull a force back to take the one later.

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I agree with your statement about taking Saipan to augment the room for bases on Tinian, and pulling forces back to take Saipan would be detrimental on the time table of the advance on Japan. But still with Peleliu, there was much debate about aborting the mission even as the invasion forces were on their way there. Too much controversy over that mission, even as it was unfolding.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Looks like Opana beat me to it...

Saipan, provided for some 4 Bomb Groups of B-29s as well as more than a few fighter strips.

CurlySue likes this.
  6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Legitimized piling on is allowed.

CurlySue likes this.
  7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Let's leave our piles out of this, please.

CurlySue likes this.
  8. formerjughead

Still waiting on cigars

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Keep an eye on the mail box. They're coming.

10. formerjughead

Are they even breathing hard?

CurlySue likes this.