Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Israel

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by Ben Dover, Apr 5, 2016.

1. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

My Grandad got his MiD while stationed postwar in Palestine running a communications centre.
    Him chatting about the period was the first time I ever heard someone say 'shithole'.
    You learned some cool things while listening to Grandad.

[​IMG]
    (Note the cunning heading up to Shetland as DDay kicked off. The man never failed to impress me.)

2. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

As far as I know, it's not true they agreed. And really the Allies had nothing to do with it.
    The British controlled the territory, and they protected the ingenious population by severely limiting Jewish imigration. But many of them arrived there illegally anyway.

Then the Jews forced the British out by a string of terrorist attacks (this is probably why Palestine was called a shithole by von Poop's grandad, British soldiers and civilians were killed almost everyday there) and the others (mainly the superpowers: the US, the USSR - the rest was irrelevant small stuff by then) accepted the reality on the ground. And really there was no other choice available.

By that time there were millions of Jews in Palestine, and many more arrived after the British had left. So really it wasn't about a necessity of relocation, it happened anyway.

Additionally the superpowers had their own political goals in mind. For example, the USSR supported the creation of a Jewish state because they expected it would become their ally/lapdog, and wanted to weaken the British. They trained Jewish insurgents (mainly in Poland), delivered lots of weapons to them too (from Czechoslovakia).

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

"This means that a non-Holocaust Israel would be much more like today's Iran than a modern, Western country."
    Wow. Felt some rust fall off my brain. Thanks for that.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Some countries, for instance France have welcomed large numbers of Jews both Sepharades and Ashkenaze Jews. (up to the 1960s) However returning home to some countries was bitter and sometimes impossible. see the kielce pogrom oF 1946 or the 1945 Krakov massacre. It is not often mentioned but Jews were taken from traisn and shot by Polish groups of partisans (especially in the Lodz area) .
    Also the Jews did not want to be "relocated". They were free men and meant to settle were they wanted, if possible in Europe, if not in the USA , Palestine or elsewwhere.

http://www.unlivredusouvenir.fr/pogroms.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielce_pogrom#/media/File:Kielce_planty_plaque.jpg

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007941

[​IMG]

USS Washington likes this.
  5. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

Returning to Poland was always possible, the Government allocated a few best parts of the former German territories to the Jews who lost everything during the war, and actually to all Jews - but especially those from the annexed by the Soviets Polish territories.
    And the "best parts" is no exaggeration whatsoever.

It is true some parts of the country wasn't safe (for anybody) and people were killed frequently in terrorist attacks, but still it was only some parts.

It's nice that the Jews could emigrate to the US, France, Canada.
    But actually the natives, the Poles had to "enjoy" the civil war, the poverty, post-war banditry, Soviet mass deportations, communist persecutions to the fullest - they had nowhere to go.

And I really wonder, how on Earth some dust-up with a single victim in Kraków, between some Jews and local lumpenproletariat (known in the US as white trash I believe) in a well known pre-war shithole became a "massacre".

USS Washington likes this.
  6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

7. mconrad

mconrad New Member

After a lot of reading about Israel, Zionism, Palestine, Arabs, the British, colonialism, and Jews, the one thing I am sure of is that God isn't running any of it.

Poppy likes this.
  8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..it was like a lot of ''areas'' during and after WW2--a powder keg....like the Balkans, Greece, French in what is now Vietnam, numerous African countries, etc etc .....groups were fighting for power/$$$
    ,,,the Palestinians even murdered and fought with their ''own kind''--the Jordanians

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I see the ww2 hate again against jews by some members.

I ask: why cannot arabs and jews live together in Jerusalem??

PLO etc wants to have Jerusalem their Capital without any jews.Why? Why is it not possible to live together??

I cannot understand. This war never ends.