Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Italia

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by Mussolini, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Having taught/learned about WW2 on my own free time, though books, websites, etc (being 16, my HS hasnt tought about WWII or WWI and never will) I still havent satisfied my want of knowing more about the Italians in World War II.

In general, do you know the specific goals Mussolini set for his troops when he launched Italies offensive in Africa?

Secondly, what OOB of the troops did he send/have in North Africa prior and after Rommel arrived with German 'reinfocements'? (I am not sure whether Rommel was sent there with his group of panzers with/as reinforcements or not)

Thanks, [​IMG]

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Mussolini did not have a specific plan other then to raise the old Roman Empire and put Italy on the map. He was not after raw materials like the Japanese nor revenge like his colleague Adolf Hitler. He just wanted to attack easy countries (in his eyes) and expand Italy's borders. First Ethiopia, then Greece and Egypt. He got bogged down in each of those countries.

Rommel was sent to provide backbone to Italy's military force in North Africa. Italy had an obsolete tank force but had good men when properly led. Rommel demonstrated this in his leading the Trieste and another Italian division I can't remember its name. Hope this helps you.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Excellent posting PzJgr, I was going to say something similar but, thanks for beating me to it. [​IMG]

4. Mussolini

Thanks. That said, who do you think was the Italians toughist (sp?) opponent? The Greeks put up one hell of a fight, espically being outnumbered. The British forces in Libya and Egypt were pushed back all the way to Al Alamein when Rommel arrived, but were then reinforced by Montgomery (right?) and managed to defeat the force and push the Italians/Germans out of North Africa. Ethiopia...hm, i dont knpw much about the Ethiopian campaign. would it be safe to say that the Ethipians/British defeated the Italians there?

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Not to make any kind of joke but....I think the Italians toughest opponets were the Germans..

I know...they were allied but.....at what cost?

Thats why I choose the Germans.... ;)

6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Well said Carl.

It's also fair to say their toughest opponent was themselves. Italy's leadership walked into a wold war without the resolve nor the unity to achieve success. The military powerhouse that was the Roman Empire, shows that the Italian know how to fight, but for WW2 Italy was almost completely unprepared.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you and definately agreed. (Id post a longer reply but the library is closing in 8 minutes)

8. Mussolini

Very true Otto. And they didnt believe in what they were fighting for either. I doubt half of them knew about the greatness of the Roman Empire, right? and their leaders werent all that great in the field, and didnt mingle with their troops like the Germans. The troops felt detached from the leaders, and using out-dated weapons and few supplies lowered their fighting spirit too. The Italians had the potential to be a powerful nation if they had updated their arsenals, had better soldier-captain/leader relationships, better communications/supplies, and a cause to believe in.

9. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Yes, it is hard to fight for a cause if you do not believe in it. I would say the Italians lost the war the second they invaded Ethiopia. They never upgraded their miliary arsenal nor their leadership structure. They ate different food then their troops. They slept in different quarters and they treated their troops with such distaste, it's no wonder they surrendered in droves.

But watch out! Here comes Rommel who ate the same rations as his troops. He led from the front. Slept in his command car. Drove his men as hard as he drove himself. This is what made those two Italian divisions so good in battle when fighting alongside the DAK.

The Italian leadership never learned that lesson and it cost them not only the war but their self respect.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Well said PzJgr. Also notice your rating? :D

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Fielen danke. I was wondering who it was that put me on the map. Thanks. I feel special now! But I'm missing my rank. [​IMG]

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Wellkommen.

Also just yesterday I send a scan of a nice set of slip-on 1st SS Pz (LSSAH) PzJgr shoulderboards to Otto. I dont remember the rank, I think it was for a Hauptsturmfuhrer. These are a very nice set and I am hoping to be able to buy them from this person. The piping is not a bright pink like Salmon, but more a light pink.

13. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

:rolleyes: I didnt think about it because I forgot but, I do have a set of SS Panzer Obersturmbannfuhrer slip-on tabs. All that needs to be changed is mayby add a roman numeral to the boards to have a Panzerjager unit represented.

After I get some copies of photos made, I will take photos of my stuff and send them to Otto. [​IMG]