Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I've heard that in some cases, American soldiers were issued with Sten guns.

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by TommyAtkins, Feb 6, 2009.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

It could have been issued to some of the US contingent in the FSSF, and maybe to the US Rangers that accompanied the commadoes to Dieppe....

2. Triple C

Triple C Ace

I wonder why didn't the American in the photograph use a suppressed M3A1 instead? Those should have been in plentiful supply and far more accessible to the grunts. Also noticed the BDUs of the soldiers in pictures. Correct me if I am mistaken, but was not Army uniform at that time olive drab?

3. alex_kaeda

alex_kaeda recruit

Olive Drab jungle fatigues were the most common uniform, however both brown-dominant, and green-dominant ERDL, along with 'duck hunter', Tiger Stripe, and a number of other patterns, were used by Special Operations types (LRRP, Ranger, SF, etc)
    [​IMG]
    This is the only photo I've been able to find of a suppressed M3 in vietnam (SFC Jerry [SIZE=-1]Shriver, MACV-SOG CCS)[/SIZE]

4. RocketFlight

RocketFlight Member

The guy in the top picture almost looks like SF. The guy on the bottom looks like regular army and also looks like the guy who played Morpheus, Laurence Fishburne I think is his name, from the matrix when he was younger. Both look like they have silenced Mk. II's.

5. RocketFlight

RocketFlight Member

Sorry. Double Post.

6. Triple C

Triple C Ace

That is exactly what I mean. :)

As to Grease Guns, they really should have been in plentiful supply to those SF types who needed a suppressed weapon. I remember Eric Haney said in his book on the Delta Force that at the first years, they went for the M3A1 SMG simply because the CIA had HUGE stocks of them given out at discount price.