Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Jackie Robinson Day...

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by brndirt1, Apr 15, 2011.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

On this date in 1947,Jackie Robinson became baseball's first (openly recognized) African-American major league player when he debuted with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Before this period, many players who might have been considered "colored/Negro" by a census taker were listed as Cuban, Mexican, Haitian, Dominican, or some such.

Robinson was the first openly recognized American of African decent to play in the majors. BTW, in this opening day game the Dodgers defeated the Boston Braves, 5-3. Major league teams around the nation are recognizing this day honoring Robinson as Jackie Robinson Day. Another interesting sidebar to Robinson’s career is that only his number (42) is retired league wide in major league baseball. Nobody will ever wear it again.

Goto:

iam42.com | MLB.com: community

Check out the many short videos on that site to see how he is remembered.

2. dash rip rock

dash rip rock Member

I by no means am trying to imply in any way shape or fashion that this date shouldn't be celebrated for Jackie Robinson's accomplishment, but this is how I relate to April 15:

I always used to tell my former girlfriend, who turned 45 on that date this year, that I would never be able to forget her birthday, since after Lincoln dying, the Titanic sinking and tax day, her birthday was guaranteed to be no higher than the 4th worst disaster that could possibly ever occur on that day. Unless they moved tax day, then it would be third.

Happy Birthday wherever you are Kara, you know I'll always remeber it!

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

That is all well and good, but not pertinent to the Sports section now are they?

4. dash rip rock

dash rip rock Member

Not directly related to the OP I guess, except that as I poorly pointed out, now I have a happy thing to remember Arpil 15 for!