Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Jagdpanther 1/72 from Revell

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by HellWarrior, Apr 22, 2013.

1. HellWarrior

HellWarrior Member

Hi, I just bought the Jagdpanther 1/72 from Revell. I am new to modeling so I tought I could give a try with a level 3 like this one. Here is a picture of the model. I will try to post pictures along the way and I would need your advice because I never completed a model before.

[​IMG]

PzJgr likes this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

From my failed days as a modeler you have a good clear space to begin working. I one word of advise is to take your time and stopping work when you begin feeling stressed or frustrated for that is the path to the Dark Side.

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Many words of advice...but at this stage it would be...over snip and shave down...careful not not try to snip cleanly, you end up cutting into the peice. Only cut out the peices when you need them...you lose a peice and you'l spew.

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Looks like a nice kit. I've never built 1/72nd scale armor before (all my armor is 1/35th scale), but it looks similar to a Tamiya Jagdpanther I built a few years ago.

Here's pictures of the completed model for 'inspiration':

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/42160-jagdpanther-model/?hl=%2Btamiya+%2Bjagdpanther

When you built it, just take your time. When you rush, mistakes will happen. 'Dry fitting' the parts (ie: hold them together to make sure they fit OK before you put glue on them) is a big help. Your modelling area looks fine -- and certainly more organized than mine (which is either a corner of my office desk or the front half of my home office computer desk). In regards to painting: I usually build the kit first, and then paint. In short; glue the main pieces together, paint the entire model you desired colour (Feldgrau would work for a one-color scheme, or go with two or three colors), and then paint the small detail parts by hand after. If you want to follow this method, obviously leave any delicate or clear parts until the end and glue them on after you paint. Some people paint everything on the sprues and then assemble. I tried that when I was about 10, and only have bad memories! And to get a nice coat you don't need a fancy airbrush -- my last 4 paint jobs were done with cans of Tamiya spray paint. With some practice this can easily rival the finish you get from an airbrush.

5. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

And then...when built...place in garden...against wooden garden shed door...about 20 yards....take air rifle...insert .22 and Bobs your uncle...Childhood days...hours of fun making em....seconds of fun shooting the hell out of em...Or was it just me...

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah, its just you...and every one else : )....I can remember as young as six i had built an Me109...about as bad as it gets...even i didnt like it at six...So, one cracker night i climbed my roof, inserted a tom thumb...lit the baby, and threw it off the roof...obviously at night time....looked great curving through the air, exploding near the top of the arc...i quickly found that i had used so much glue, that she was good for another two runs! Ah...to be a pissfarting young lad again.

7. urqh

We've been here before I'm sure... but don't forget the use of a carefully placed stream of Bell Air Hair Laquer from a squeezy bottle...made great flame thrower...suppose it was the Hydrogen peroxide.....And the old coal shovel with metal handle...hollow ones..take top off..insert banger...hold at base..and there you go...home made mortar....Fun unbounding...And the old break open fireworks...lay trail of gunpowder...light and stand back...watch objects take to air....Followed closely by visit of council social worker and the old old blame game...

8. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Uh..guys..you realized HW is looking for positive reinforcement...right?

9. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

[​IMG]

Don't blame me...I'm not the one teaching him how to be a hooligan....*cough* *cough* urqh *cough* *cough*

10. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Don't make me get out my frikkin Sharks with lasers attached to their heads!

11. urqh

HW...positively have fun making the model...Then switch to aircraft mate....Hang em on wire coat hangers from room ceiling...And you get dogfights...At differing levels...My room ceiling was full of the Airfix types as a youth....When you get fed up imagining the dog fights...Positive thoughts...Buy an air rifle and be positive in your marksmanship...

Oh and paint the parts before you assemble em...Helps lots.

CAC likes this.