Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Jagdpanthers

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Leopard2, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Were the Jagdpanther battalions another "teeth" heavy formation designed to intercept enemy armored formations (so naturally, they have no integral combined arms and infantry)? (Like the Tiger Tank Battalions?)

2. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The standard S. PzJr Abt. had three companies each of three platoons of either 4 or 6 AFV and two headquarters vehicles. Typically late war this was 14 vehicles per company authorized.
    The Abteilung headquarters had two or three more vehicles along with several motor vehicles. There was also a light maintenance company attached like in panzer battalions.

3. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

14 per company...thats alot more than I thought!

I always thought that the tanks destroyers were used mixed in with regular tank units. Guess not.

4. T. A. Gardner

Most Jadgpanther abteilung had a mix of vehicles. There were rarely sufficent Jadgpanther to fill the entire battalion out. More commonly, there would be say, 12 to 20 Jadgpanther and an equal number of Jgpz IV /L70 assigned.

5. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

I think the JagdPanther would be less breakdown prone than the standard panther.

It had the same mechanics but it was 10 tons lighter. That would relieve the overtaxed transmission and drive train making them last longer. The increase in movement wouldn't be so severe.
    Oh and it was called the "best" because like the panther, if the sun was shining and the mechanics held, it was a fearsome beast. It could take any tank at any range and had excellent power-to-weight ratio... The usual. Then again, anything with a long 88 was a fearsome weapon and achieved good combat records.

Cheers...

6. razin

razin Member

No it not it is half a ton heavier 45.5 tons vs 46 tons

7. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

You're correct. must've misread the data :( shame on me... ;)

Cheers...

8. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

That seems to be going around.

Did you want to join me and A-58 in the corner? I am sure we can come up with another glass for you, there is plenty to go around.:D

Though at this rate we are going to need a few more bottles.

9. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Great I'll bring mine :D see you in the corner.

Cheers...

10. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

well I think the jagdpanther is an expensive and difficult to make tank

11. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

to big also

12. Doc_

Doc_ Member

Here's a Jagdpanzer trivia question for you ... were Jagdpanzers or Jagdpathers the first 12SS Pz Div tanks to push down Rollbahn-A on the morning of 17 December on the Northern Shoulder? Did the soldiers defending around Lt Col Allen's 3rd Battalion CP meet Jagdpanzer IV or Panther V as defenders used bazookas to slow the 12th SS advance?

13. D Evil

D Evil Member

The following units of the Waffen-SS received Jagdpanthers:
    - 2. SS-Panzer-Division "Das Reich" received 10.
    - 9. SS-Panzer-Division "Hohenstaufen" received 10.
    - 10. SS-Panzer-Division "Frundsberg" received 10.
    - SS-Kampfgruppe "Wiking" received 7.
    For a total of 37 Jagdpanthers delivered to the Waffen-SS.

Sincerely, D Evil ;)

14. T. A. Gardner

All of the Jadgpanthers that participated in the Ardennes Offensive were from Wehrmacht units. While some were assigned to the SS they were attached from their parent command or the battalion was attached to make up for tank shortages in the unit. During this particular battle there were no Jadgpanther crewed by the SS.

15. Doc_

Doc_ Member

I am privalaged to live about an hour from the Belgian-German border and love to explore the battlefields when I have time.

Kampfgruppe Muller pushed down the east-west "Rollbahn-A" trail towards Krinkelt-Rocherath on the second morning of the Ardennes Offensive (17 Dec 44). Kampfgruppe Muller consisted of the 1 x SS-Panzerjager Abteilung with 22 JagdpanzerIV/70, likely in two companies of 10 with a HQ platoon of 3. It was also supported by a full battlion of SS-Pz Grenadiers under one of Hitler's former aids Oberst Schultze-Kossens.

TSgt Vernon McGarity's squad of L-Co, 3Bn, 393rd Rgt met this force at a slight bend in the trail deep in the heavy fir tree forrest. McGarity and members of I-Co. held back this force for over 1.5 hours using mobile bazooka teams to destroy or disable at least 3 "tanks" (likely Jagdpazer IV) and a tracked 20mm Flak Gun. Only when out of ammo was McGarity's platoon overrun and captured. For his actions he won the Medal of Honor. Two more brave soldiers won the Medal of Honor within a mile of this location fighting the same Kampfgruppe, but thats a story for another day.

T.A., you are correct. The 12th SS was augmented by at least one company of "Army" Jagdpanthers (Bruce Quarrie OB) that faught a little farther south. This company (560th) met their fate assaulting 2ID positions protecting Dom Butgenbach, just west of Bullingen. Some great pictures of them in "After the Battle/Then and Now" publications.

Sources: Bruce Quarrie "Ardennes Offensive VI Pz Army, Osprey 1999" and Will Cavanagh's "Battles East of Elsenborn, 2004".

16. Doc_

Doc_ Member

Picture of McGarity's position on Rollbahn-A

Attached Files:

Martin Bull likes this.
  17. Sentinel

Sentinel Member

I've heard that the Jagdpanther also suffered from stress on the front part of the suspension. This was because the turret of the Panther was replaced by a heavier gun mounted much further forward, changing the centre of gravity and putting more weight on the front road wheels. Some Jagdpanthers apparently had steel-rimmed road wheels on the first two or four axles to help counter this.

18. FartNuts

FartNuts Member

Let's not forget that it lacked a turret...less parts and less issues. I agree too...in perfect conditions and in a defensive stance it was VERY hard to get past one of these.