Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Japanese carrier footage

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by SymphonicPoet, Sep 25, 2014.

1. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Obviously there exists no "new" footage of WWII, and most folks will doubtless have seen most of these shots before. Some are quite famous. But some of this is new to me, and even what's not new is generally shown a little longer than I typically see and collected all together in one place.

All the usual suspects are there: Pearl Harbor footage, Philipine Sea, Cape Engano, some training shots. Surprisingly there are more and better shots of AMERICAN early war carriers than I often see. L[SIZE=13.8181819915771px]ong sequences from Enterprise at Eastern Solomons, g[/SIZE]reat shots of quad 1.1s (probably also Enterprise), some spectacular near misses, and of course a couple of hits. There's footage of Akagi (2:55, 5:00), [SIZE=13.8181819915771px] Kaga (4:45, 8:50), [/SIZE]Shokaku (1:20), Zuikaku (15:17), unidentified Shokakus (15:45 on) a Zuiho (8:25, 9:05?), a Junyo (8:15), I think there's a clip of Soryu and Hiryu at 4:25, there are some surface combatants, an Ise, Kurita's line at Leyte . . . lots of launch footage, low shots, AA, shots of an Avenger and a Helldiver attacking as seen from the deck of a Japanese ship . . . even some footage of what looks to be a carrier on the horizon getting absolutely plastered (17:40). (Presumably a little more Cape Engano there.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTcuqDF-cqE

It's amazing how much a ship the size of a Shokaku can roll.

Here's some footage from the commissioning of Hiryu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33qoLi2BDvA

Note the CA in the background. Takao class? All you can make out is the top of the island, foremast, and funnels, but from the arrangement I'm guessing a Takao.

Anyway . . .

Gromit801 and belasar like this.