Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Japanese Carriers Shokaku and her sister, Zuikaku!

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by Shuttlelover101, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Shuttlelover101

Shuttlelover101 Member

Guys,
    Looking for information on the Japanese Carriers Shokaku and her sister, Zuikaku! I know they were together for most of the Careers, til Shokaku's loss on 19 June 1944. I have always like these to carriers!! this might be taking it off for what i asked, but i thing is funny, i friend was talking about these two sisters and two other sisters: I said: They were a thorn in even butt, Just like two of Germany Battleships(twin sisters Scharnhorst and Gneisenau)!! But that were neat carriers! Dose anyone know were i can find a good book on the Japanese Fleet Carries?? Yes, they were enemy carriers they still packed a pouch when they were together!! My friend came back with: Shokaku and Zuikaku served together from the start of the war. The team didn't really break up until Shokaku met her end in June 1944. The same could be said for Germany's Gneisenau and Scharnhorst; after Gneisenau was decommissioned in July 1942 for her planned rebuild, Scharnhorst's luck seemed to have gone. Barely two years later, and she met her fate off North Cape. Just goes to show you, when you break up a team, the magic is gone. let me know what you guys thing ok!
    Nikki

2. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

3. RAM

RAM Member

The japanese publisher Gakken has a series of books about the ships in the Imperial Japanese Navy:

IJN CV SHOKAKU-CLASS, PICTORIAL BOOK,GAKKEN JAPAN - eBay (item 250755142840 end time Jan-16-11 19:40:17 PST)

IJN AIRCRAFT CARRIERS, PICTORIAL BOOK,GAKKEN JAPAN - eBay (item 300512959904 end time Jan-15-11 07:45:52 PST)

CARRIER TASK FORCE,IJN CV AKAGI, PICTORIAL BOOK GAKKEN - eBay (item 250754127164 end time Jan-15-11 07:18:33 PST)

I have bought several books from this series myself, and although they are written in Japanese they are very useful because of the large number of pictures and drawings.

Good Luck!

4. Shuttlelover101

Shuttlelover101 Member

Guys,
    Thank you!! i have always liked these two pretty carriers!! RIP you two!
    Nikki