Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Japanese Carriers

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by Mutant Poodle, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Feng Shui?
    :D

2. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Okay, their master plan was for a two or four carrier system where a carrier with the right-side island would always be matched with a left-side island carrier. When engaging in takeoffs and landings, the right side island carrier would have a landing/takeoff pattern that went counter-clockwise while the left-side island carrier would have a clockwise pattern. This way, with the counterclockwise pattern to the left and clockwise to the right operations would not interfere with each other even if in fairly close quarters.

It was a case of something that sounded good in theory but was disaster in practice. The natural tendency, even for pilots who didn't learn to fly on right-island carriers, was for them to pull off to the left if they missed a landing. This of course was disasterous if the island was located to the left.

3. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    The British tried the same thing earlier and ran into the same problem. I thing there was even a carrier with two islands and a bridge between them! :eek: I forget which nation UK or Japan I think.

4. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

via TanksinWW2
    Does anyone have Japanese-source material confirming this right-left teamwork idea? I've seen it in plenty of Western publications, but I've never seen anything close to the source.

5. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    No. There are, sadly, very few Japanese books on the IJN in WW2. Given how little is taught in Japanese schools about the war, though, it is perhaps understandable.