Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Japanese Surender Document

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Jba45ww2, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

I was able to pick up this request for surrender grouping from a local WW2 Air Show in Reading PA. It is a three day show that has grown each year that includes not only reenactors but some great examples of both British and US planes. This year I found this document early on the first day and always like to get one of a kind items. I was intrigued by both the wording request and the date that they were surrendering. I had my framer protect the document and actually have the directions in the back on how to remove everything if I ever wish to sell. Always interested in both comments and questions.
    Surrender Document.JPG
    translation.JPG
    Items.JPG USMC OK.JPG

LRusso216 likes this.
  2. Takao

Takao Ace

The date is not that questionable. Outlying or bypassed island outposts took several weeks before they were formally surrendered. For instance Singapore surrendered on September 12, 1945, and some Japanese outposts in China were not surrendered until 1946.

You should also post this over on Axis History Forum, it the Japan subsection.

Jba45ww2 likes this.
  3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...well, translating between languages can be difficult as some words, sayings, meanings, etc are not used or used differently...yes? ...and it was 2 very different cultures .....
    ....''mercifully'' --perhaps this word was used because surrender was seen as shameful for the Japanese--and they were known to execute prisoners/etc...? or as a ''sign'' of defeat...?
    ..'''magnificent forces'' does sound odd--but could be because of the reasons stated