Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Jets In The Battle of Britain 1940?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Tom, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom

Tom Member

Air battles with jets in 1940 meteor vs the 262 adrao jet bombers bombing London in large numbers. god I hate my spelling

2. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

We'll forgive, after all, you are from the United States.

IFFF this was possible, we would also have other improvements in technology. I believe the same result would occur, plus the RAF Canberra's would be wiping the Luftwaffe airbases.

3. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Yeah, and a Vickers Valiant would turn Berlin into a glass plain :rolleyes:

4. Tom

Tom Member

heck scince we are going there I think a b-52 could carry a lanc:)I'm going to get it for this one:)A b-52 over berlin that's unsettleing too hehe

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I would have to agree with Ali Morshead.

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I think that this is a 'what if...?' too far. There are just too many imponderables, not just the types of aircraft but also range, (un)reliability, the fact that neither 262 or Meteor were 'dog-fighters' etc etc.....One may as well speculate about Vickers HMGs at Agincourt.

7. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

also good point.

8. Richard

Richard Expert

I'm wondering if the HE-178 would have been used as a recon aircraft and the HE-280 used as a recon/fighter. I suspect both would had been in very small numbers but I admit it is adding to the greater what if situation.

9. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The He 178 was very much an experimental aircraft. It had barely 30 minutes flying time, if that. The engine overheated badly during its few brief flights. It had absolutely no spare space being a very sparse and minimal airframe mainly for demonstration purposes. As a military aircraft it was useless.
    The He 280 was a bit late for the BoB. However, for much of its test life there were continual problems with the engines including fires, fuel puddling in the nacelles, flame outs, etc. The airframe, much like the US P-59 was also largely built on extant technology comparable to that in use for a piston engined fighter. That is, the stressing of parts, size of fuel tanks, and such were not well adapted to use in a jet. The range of the He 280 was very short. Its tail configuration would likely have proved weak in service too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.