Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

John Maxtone-Graham

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by GRW, Jul 16, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"John Maxtone-Graham, who has died aged 85, was an American author of Scottish ancestry whose expertise on the golden age of ocean liners allowed him to make guest appearances on Cunard’s transatlantic crossings and even in an episode of The Simpsons.
    His book titles evoked an era of glittering opulence and grand enterprise: Liners to the Sun (1986), Cunard: 150 Glorious Years (1989) and Normandie: France’s Legendary Art Deco Ocean Liner (2007). He chronicled the spectacular voyages of passenger ships such as Aquitania, Mauretania and Lusitania during the first half of the 20th century, along with the tragic fate of Titanic and the decline of sea passages in favour of flight.
    His wistful style was set with his first book The Only Way to Cross (1972), the definitive history of transatlantic liners. “It’s hard to believe they are gone. The piers are still there,” he wrote, “But there is no tomorrow. Every one of these fine transatlantic liners – and nearly all the others too – have vanished from service.”
    He lamented the disappearance of a way of life as much as a mode of transport. He wrote about “bon voyage baskets” full of exotic fruits, and the dazzling decor of the dining saloons, but also of the “brutal employment” of the stokers coping with the “treacly black goo” of the oil and the sulphurous coal smoke. “I don’t feel people care how many rivets were used, or how many eggs served,” he observed. “They care about what really happens inside that steel hull.”
    He was particularly drawn to the aesthetic qualities of these vast ships – and their quirks. “People say ships were more elegant then, but I don’t think so. There was, however, more luggage space in the cabin: a recess for trunks, and lots of drawers and cupboards. There used to be buttons to summon stewards, and there was always someone available in the pantry. Of course, there are now no bath stewards to summon when you want to bathe: it’s a dead profession.” Maxtone-Graham experienced the grandeur of liners at an early age, taking his first passage as an infant and becoming infatuated with the hulking vessels as a young boy.
    He claimed that the interest was genetic, noting that his ancestor Lord Lynedoch had, in 1815, sailed from Stockholm to St Petersburg in Savannah, a grand American steamer newly over from America.
    Maxtone-Graham took hundreds of ocean voyages, lectured on board many liners, including Princess, Cunard and Norwegian Cruise Line vessels, and would spend seven months of the year at sea. In 2012 he had the privilege of giving an “animated” lecture to Bart Simpson aboard Royalty Valhalla, a floating extravaganza of rollercoasters and crazy golf, during an episode of The Simpsons produced by his son Ian.
    John Kurtz Maxtone-Graham was born on August 2 1929 at Orange, New Jersey. His father was a Scottish banker, his mother Ellen (née Taylor) was American.
    In later life John put his distinctive prose style – a combination of rattling yarn and illuminating detail – down to the influence of his British family. “Two of my aunts told stories that were funny by times, or gripping. They made you listen,” he said. One of those aunts was Joyce Anstruther Maxtone Graham, who wrote the wartime bestseller Mrs Miniver under the nom de plume Jan Struther.
    When John was six months old his parents left America for London in the wake of the Wall Street Crash; for many years the family would flit between the two continents. By the age of 10 he had crossed the Atlantic a dozen times. “I remember crossings on Cunard and White Star ships before the Second World War. I was a boy and would get seasick,” he recalled. “I was amazed to discover the food was free. There were manned elevators in those days, often war veterans who had been injured.”
    Maxtone-Graham’s education was split between Britain and America, but he graduated from Brown University on Rhode Island in 1951 before serving as a lieutenant with the US Marines in Korea. "
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11744391/John-Maxtone-Graham-author-obituary.html

Takao and ULITHI like this.
  2. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Gordon, I just saw this post this morning. He was truly a great historian. I've been a maritime buff for most of my life. Being a kid living in a desert, Maxtone- Graham brought the ocean liner alive again. The Only Way to Cross" was an amazing book. I truly felt the awe and inspiration of being onboard the Mauretania or Berengaria just by his words.

Bon Voyage John and thank you for posting Gordon.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I'll second that. As I kid, I borrowed 'The Only Way To Cross' from the local library, and was very pleased to find a good secondhand copy a few years ago which I still have on my shelf. He was a superb maritime writer.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Sad to hear of his passing. I read "The only Way to Cross" a few times, and it was my favorite book on the ocean liner era - Today's cruise liners just lack the mystique of the yesterday's ocean liners.

Thanks for posting this Gordon.