Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Joined in 2009....First post

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by jimburke25, Feb 12, 2021.

1. jimburke25

jimburke25 recruit

I joined this site a few years back and would read it occasionally but only now in retirement do I have the time for greater involvement. Retired police Officer. Firearms instructor. Son of WW2 Army Veteran who also had two brothers who served - One was KIA during Market Garden 20 Sept, 1944. History Buff residing in TN and AZ

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Glad you could join us. Tell us more about your father and uncles. They sound fascinating. Names, units, etc. Anything you find interesting.

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Welcome aboard and good on you for being a Police Officer...a thankless but critical job.

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Jim, you may have set a record for longest time between registration and first post. Glad you jumped in.

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Belated welcome to the forums, Jim!

6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

And please share what your father's service as well as your uncles.

7. chibobber

chibobber Member

Welcome aboard brother! Retired (30 years) Road Sergeant, Range Officer, Evidence Tech, FBI trained sniper, Taining Officer and all around utility player. Dad was a WW2 vet. Mom was a French war bride.
    Enjoy your retirement, I know I do,17 years and counting.

CAC likes this.
  8. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Welcome!

9. jimburke25

jimburke25 recruit

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Yes, I did 25 Years in a small Northeast city; Patrolman, Detective, Ptl Sgt. finally retired as Lieutenant.

I've spent years studying my family's service in WW2 and tried to apply my training and experience and now in my later years, a more mature perspective.

It's a long story and it's too late to start tonight so I will address it further in the coming days.

Thanks again!

LRusso216, TD-Tommy776 and Otto like this.
  10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

And you still remembered your password?

I had brown hair back then.

GRW, Otto and CAC like this.
  11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Cheers and welcome!! Kph

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

:dance1:

13. jimburke25

jimburke25 recruit

Oct. 1940 President Roosevelt federalized the New York National Guard.

DUGAN, EDWARD Sgt. How Co. 165th Infantry (fighting 69th) who had enlisted in 1934 and HD in 1939 and had just re-enlisted goes active duty. He is promoted to 2Lt. April 1941 and assigned to the Infantry via direct commission.. The only records I have of his service is a National Guard promotion record and listings in the 1950's National register. I do know that by 1945 he is a Capt. and my father said that he served on Okinawa. However, I haven't been able to confirm this via any roster from the 27th IND or the other three US army Divisions involved. The St, Louis records only had a copy of the National Guard record. He has 52 months of WW2 active service in the infantry. He later was promoted to Major in 1956 and finally retired in 1964 as Lt Col. with 30 years of service. He was my Great Uncle.

BURKE, EDWARD Medic 71st Infantry is reassigned in 1941 to the 159th Infantry California National Guard and later that year the 159th is assigned to the 7th Motorized Div.. During 1942 the 7th is trained in the desert for service in North Africa. However when the Japanese invade the Aleutian Islands in 1942 its redesignated 7th Infantry.
    The 7th lands at Attu Island May 1943 and heavy cold weather fighting ensues. The 159th is held in reserve but it appears some of it's medics, including my Uncle, are assisting in Aid Stations and field Hospitals when the final Banzai charge is launched. The 159th later takes part in the landing on Kiska during August 1943 which had been abandoned by the Japanese but still resulted in more than 300 US Causalities from friendly fire and other causes. The 159th is then detached from the 7th infantry and spends the next year garrisoning Kiska. The 159th returns to Texas as a separate command August 1944. TO BE CONTINUED>