Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Joseph Lamont, 549th NFS KIA off Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Tim Lamont, Oct 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Tim Lamont

Tim Lamont Member

Hello, I'm looking for information, memories, comments, stories, anything I can find about my great uncle, 2nd Lt Joseph T Lamont. He was a pilot of a P-61 night fighter in the 549th fighter squadron. He was last stationed on Iwo Jima, where he crashed and was killed returning from a mission.

Anything you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Tim have you tried the macr data base at ArmyAirForces.com ??

this will give you the # number of the loss report and I think if you click the research link on the site you will find additional info such as contact person and address for future contact(s). Also once you log in you might want to pose the same question in the area of Fighters forum and see if the 549th nfs has it's own forum link ? Obviously yu want to find the contact person for the NFS. I was a member of the US NF association but it went belly up in the Fall at least 6 years ago, not sure who is in charge of the reunions except to say that the squadrons as a whole do their own.

good luck and let us know what transpires please ......

Ercih ~

you do have the date of his demise correct ?

3. Tim Lamont

Tim Lamont Member

Hi Erich,
    I have a copy of the obituary that ran in his local paper. It states he died on July 17, 1945. I tried that date and even expanded it to the entire month of July on the site you suggested - no luck. I will see if the 549th has a forum, good idea.

Thank you for the tips.
    Tim

4. fsbof

fsbof Member

In John Lambert's The Pineapple Air Force, 2nd Lt. Joseph T. Lamont is included in a list of Seventh Fighter Command casualties as KPC (Killed in Plane Crash) on 17 Jul 45, which jives with the date you have.

Slipdigit likes this.
  5. Tim Lamont

Tim Lamont Member

Wow, thank you fsbof. That is definitely a book worth adding to the collection.

I doubt Joseph is mentioned in any other capacity, but it certainly does add a whole new dimension. Hopefully reading it will give me some sense for what his time overseas was like.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Tim, did you receive my private message yesterday about another alternative ?

E ~

7. Tim Lamont

Tim Lamont Member

Yes sir. I just sent a reply.

Tim

8. fsbof

fsbof Member

Tim - that was the only mention of your g-uncle in the book that I could find. TPAF is a good history of the Seventh AF, beginning with its service in Hawaii in 1941 and following it all the way through to the end of the war at Iwo. It will give you a good idea of what the 7AF accomplished, and context to whatever information you may find about your g-uncle's service. The book's bibliography lists various unit histories, including one for the 549 NFS that your g-uncle served in. Another source is Osprey's book about P-61 units of WWII - it has a short history of the 549th and some photos of aircraft and crew. One suggestion: my edition of TPAF was published by Phalanx in 1990 and is out of print. However, Schiffer Books has recently published a new edition of the book by Lambert - I don't know if it's been updated/revised, or is just a reprinting. You might want to contact Schiffer or the author to find out before buying it.

9. Tim Lamont

Tim Lamont Member

Im not too surprised that he wasnt mentioned. As far as I can tell, he was "just one of the guys" who was there. I will take your suggestion and look into the latest version of the book. Thank you again for the tip.

Tim

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Tim did you contact that other nfs rep if he is still living ? my suggestion is not even look at Ospreys title(s) you need to go higher up the chain and that is through govt documentation, even if your uncle flew only 1 mission he should have a combat report(s) made out along with his radar operator. these should be enclosed at Maxwell Air Force base, the phone number and address is on the armyairforces site in a sublink under "research". a minimum of 6 weeks will be at hand but if any place they should have something. You want to contact Lynn Gamma for these items.

who knows you may be in store for a bit of info. Please be as detailed as possible with your questions, again it is best probably to make a phone call

again happy hunting !!

E ~

11. Tim Lamont

Tim Lamont Member

Just to update the thread...

Thanks in part to info given to me here, I've been able to make contact with a couple of people who are helping in my research, one of whom knows Mr Earl Tigner - a member of the 549th who served with my great uncle on Iwo Jima! I also was able to learn that my uncle, along with 8 other members of the unit (including my uncle's radar operator William Dexter, Jr) were awarded Bronze Stars for participation in ground combat while on Iwo Jima. I know no details about this as yet, and have so far been unable to find anyplace that has any records that are helpful. Perhaps Mr Tigner will shed some light.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you for the tips and hints and leads you provided. It was enormously helpful.

Tim

12. rhanselman

rhanselman recruit

Please excuse my intrusion into this thread however I would like to gather as much information/history on the 549th NFS as I can.

I am the current 549th Commander at Nellis AFB, NV and I am trying to bring back some of the history to the Sq. I am specifically hunting for information leading to the family of Don Cramer. We would like to dedicate our heritage room in his name and hang a copy of his Purple Heart and any other awards he may have won. We would also like to honor all the members with a plaque in the same room.

Thank you in advance,
    Ron Hanselman, Lt Col, USAF
    549th CTS Commander

13. Tim Lamont

Tim Lamont Member

Col. Hanselman, did you get my email?

14. Tim Lamont

Tim Lamont Member