Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Journals from Reconnaissance Cartographer - Eastern Inferno

Discussion in 'Quill and Ink' started by avanahall, Jan 21, 2010.

1. avanahall

avanahall Member

Hey everyone,

I have three journals from my grandfather (German) as he wrote hourly from the frontlines as a German Anti Tank Reconnaissance Cartographer.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Because he was in charge of mapping the front lines, he wrote and wrote a lot.

A publisher is offering to publish it as a book but it is very low offer - and becuase we don't know much about how special this may be we are hesitant.

The journals are full off info and gory details - some info even could change history (this is what the greman translator told us)

Here is a sample -- any feedback would be great as to what we should do with these journals -- PS - we also have all his map drawings.

[FONT=&quot]_______________________[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Page 3

At Orel

Wide Russian plane, oppressive loess canyons, which cut treacherously deep, like cracks in a glass pane, into the black soil. Forever humid and swampy, they are the threatening breeding ground for malaria, and the other fever epidemics, for which there are no names yet. Along a poor strip of woods and sparse huts extents here the HKL. The ground is scared and the grass scorched by thousands of impacts from the many months of position fighting. Over the badly torn up trenches lies a tropical heat. In the flickering heat across lie the Russian shelters.

It’s very difficult to keep your eyes open, because the heat is heavy and the extremities like lead. The half hour before noon with its tempting (page 4) calm is the most critical of the entire day. One is waiting for the return of the meal runner, dosing and only a breath away from falling asleep. Then all of a sudden a hissing coming across from the other side, crashing with a thunder beyond the cover. It’s the same every noon; nevertheless you’re startled out of your dreams every time. The images of home and all the longing thoughts are abruptly torn apart…

One to two hours is hissing, rolling and thundering. Here and across on the other side stand the stinking smoke plumes from the impacts, waves of smoke and fumes in all colors, which the forever blowing wind mixes into a dirty grey, evenly flecked by blinding white shrapnel clouds. Then the fire falls asleep slowly. ---

The nights are damp and cold and (page 5) full of restlessness. After the fireworks by the artillery every evening to honor the departing day, it becomes livelier in the fore field. The heavy weaponry has been laid to rest and now it’s the great moment for the small guns, for Pak (probably anti-tank weapon), Mg and rifles. In the fore field late troops from here and across fumble through the darkness. In glaring white flares are hissing in the night sky. Like a startled chicken cackles a “Maxim”(medium machine gun) somewhere. We respond more Mg’s join in and in a few minutes the whole chicken coup is in a great flurry, a hellish racket throughout the sector. It often takes hours before friend and enemy calm down, most of the times the night is over by then and again you had to forget about sleeping.

(page 6) Unforgettable are also the air raids in the Liwuy-sector. Starry nights. The oppressive calm after the evening’s infernal noise of the artillery duel, the few quite minutes, when you can write a letter in the shelter-then suddenly a fine singing in the air: the “Iwans” (coll. for Russians) are coming!

The singing becomes a rattling haul, which will now fill the air for hours. Each night the same, fascinating picture, hundreds of lightning bursts-white, red, green-splatter the sky, long yellow-orange stripes shoot into the sky, accompanied by the hard knocking of the 2 cm anti-aircraft artillery. Then glaring white magnesium lights are falling from above, a fluorescent screen. Or with red flames a fire sizzles on the ground jumps back up 50 or 60 meters and then remains as yellow-white (page 7) balls like a burning Christmas tree, and that’s also what we call these American tracer shells. Only there’re no gifts under it but infantryman.

Each movement has died down, in order not to reveal more to the Russians than he can see already, because the dawn lies above the sap trenches and ditches. Then a slurping and gurgling from above, which becomes a booming hissing, a tremendous bang, the earth trembles, a shinning drizzle of glowing splinters cut through the air…once…twice and once more. Then the plane hurtled above our heads. In the neighboring trenches the flames now shooting to the sky until there are no more bombs. Now the lightning bursts are coming from above, (page 8), he is shooting with onboard weapons, from below attack the multi-colored bursts from our Mgs and 2 centimeters with crashing and thundering, a tremendous spectacle, like judgment day. Whoever is calm enough and does have an eye for this wild, twitching picture, will keep these nights at Liwuy-in spite of everything- in good memory.

Difficult days! The Russians full well knowing how important the “Kunatsch-Sector” is, throws enforcements into the trenches day after day, pulls up heavy guns and does now also have the damn “Stalin-Orgel”( multiple rocket launcher) positioned across.

Fine drizzle in oppressive heat. Warm as piss fever air! People sick with malaria stumble back in noticeable numbers. (page 9). The roads are bottomless, the trenches a singular bog. Damn positional fighting! My shelter is about to drown, not a dry speck anywhere!

Now the sun is shining again and the reds, who probably just like us suffered like dogs during these rainy days, are becoming totally, meanly aggressive. By night he breaks into our fore most advanced trenches with tank support, during the day he is struck back. That’s how it goes for 3 days when we full of righteous wrath tier of the whole thing and in a nightly assault maneuver bring a small piece of forest, point of origin for all the evil, into our possession through bitter close-range attack.

When at dawn the (page 10) whole affair starts to look more than precarious, the excellent “Do Geraete” bring help and support. We sit on the other side and the terribly crumpled forest in thoroughly in our hand, no force in the world will be able to expel us from here!

Here we have been sitting now for a week, a burned out Russian tank is built up to become the forward B-point, the forest is packed with the most modern weapons. The Reds run up a few times a day but only get their heads bloodied. The position is ideal and almost impossible to capture. He also seems to understand this and in the next days and nights he hardly bothers us. Now that again isn’t right either, for me personally this calm is suspicious. (page11)

The leadership as well doesn’t appear to trust the peace, because sound locator and surveillance posts are doubled. After two more days, everybody up here knows that the reds are planning something devilish for us. On the third day this becomes a certainty, on the fourth day the entire combat position including the important “B point explode under Russian tanks.
    I want to tell the story how everything played out in detail and it was reported to the Corps. On June 30th: Russian officer with marching orders is in front of our positions, which apparently scrutinizes the tank and later takes photographs.

June 6th and 7th. Conspicuous enlargement of the dirt berms along the entire length of the enemy trench facing us.

(page12) July 7th.: A deserter testifies, that at this position a mine tunnel is being built, which is only missing 20 meters before completion.

July 12.: 15 meters from our on barbed wire line a metal post sticking out of the ground is observed. Simultaneously the tank is sized up anew from the Russian trench. With the first observation alone the presumption occurs the Russian could be pushing ahead with a tunnel towards the tank. Therefore a screening trench of 3 meters in depth is dug and manned with a sound locator. Because of the testimony of the deserter on July 10th a counter bombardment with 9 heavy “T” mines is tried, which despite being executed on a 10 meter width does not bring any results, the examination of the craters does not provide ( page 13) any evidence of a tunnel.

Three more counter blasts don’t bring any results, a fourth one is being prepared for the evening of the 14th. Our artillery and heavy weaponery conspicuously range on the fore field sector, Spanish riders and S rolls are standing by as a precaution.

It is a terrible feeling, to sit there and wait for the havoc, which could rage upon us at any moment. To abandon the position is out of the question, therefore it’s time to write your will and to wait for the eruption of the volcano with frazzled nerves. A very terrible situation! Here indeed hours turn into minutes and minutes into hours, time is crawling, it makes you crazy!

(page 14)
    I could scream, and fume and howl out of rage. Here helps no dirty joke and no cursing, the men are staring into nothing, numb and catatonic they are waiting for the catastrophe.

On the 14th at 7pm, there is the sudden detonation about 25 to 30 steps to the right and forward of the tank. After a few seconds a second even bigger one at the same spot and right afterwards two more in a distance of about 80 steps from the tank. The above present battalion leader and a few men thrown over by the wave of the detonation, the crew in the forward trenches in buried. The screening trenches however did not cave in, the main pressure of the tremendous explosion escapes without doing a lot of damage upwards. Except for a few scratches ( page 15) it did nothing to me or my men.

With the sudden onset of fire from all weapons an assault unit tries to penetrate the position. He is turned around with hand grenades and rifles;-the small and large Mgs which are buried under collapsed earth berms are not functional- and thrown out in close combat. While doing this we even take a few prisoners, who will tell interesting things later on in the interrogation. Besides a dozen wounded and 3 dead we got away with a black eye this time. Position combat-mine combat! Now we are there! Now I am only missing gas. – Additionally we find out from the attack the following. - Origin of the tunnel was the fore most Russian trench across for our position. Strong pioneer forces for deployed for the construction of the tunnel, which on the 14th had a length of 170 meters. In the tunnel 20 men were working at a time, the work itself was executed with an earth cutter which had the shape of a horseradish cutter. Therefore almost silent work was accomplished in the soft clay. At the end of the tunnel, in the actual explosive chamber were-according to prisoner testimony-a 1000 kilogram load planted, which was detonated on the 14th.

The whole mine incident counts among the most devious form of combat by the reds. Hardly a day has passed in this singularly brutal campaign where the reds did not bring us losses through one or the other devilish plan. (Page 17)

The following is a small sample:

Tow wire balloons and phosphor grenades are not new anymore, we already made their acquaintance in the winter also the about 50 different kinds of mines are old acquaintances. New on the other hand are the mine traps. Especially cunning Bolsheviks cross the German lines at night and at possible and impossible points put up sign with German writing: “Attention mine trucks drive on the right!” The right side of the road is mined of course and the truck meets its destiny.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Avanahall,

Welcome, it is good to see you join. Please feel free to post anything you would like to post from your grandfather's war documents.

If you have the time and wish to do so, create a thread here and tell us what your grandfather did during the war.

If you wish to add more of of this diary and maps he drew, place them in the militaria section.

I do look forward to learning about your grandfather.

avanahall likes this.
  3. avanahall

avanahall Member

Thanks for the welcome:)
    I guess no one has feedback:-(

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Did anyone explain as to the could change history part of your collection? what would it change?

avanahall likes this.
  5. avanahall

avanahall Member

When the German man translated these for my brother - one night he called and was blow away by something that was written by my grandfather - that totally contridicted what they where being taught in the German schools.

I will try and get the details from my brother and post it.

6. Slipdigit

I've enjoyed reading what you have posted, and look forward to more.

7. Slipdigit

You said these were translated for you.

“Stalin-Orgel”( multiple rocket launcher) - These were called Stalin's Organs, due to the sound they made when launched.

8. urqh

An extremely interesting thread. Please come back on it some more.

9. avanahall

avanahall Member

Slipdigit,

My brother had many German translators do this work - it is three full journals as it seems my grandfather wrote daily if not more since his job was about pen and paper. We have a publisher who wants to publish (We are in the contract faze) and I am in the process of going through it tooth and nail. My husband has read 3/4th of it and could not put it down. It is full of action and comments about the Germans /Russians.

That being said - would you be interested in reading it in its full and helping correct terminology? I could see to it that you get credits in the book? Or do you know of someone else who is knowledgeable who would enjoy to be part of this?

I have his medals, 5 documents with medals, all his drawn maps of enemy lines and his photos etc.

My husband said that there are placed where my dad mentioned certain areas when there my grandpa said was a major explosion and when my husband looked up the area on Google Satellite he saw a crater.

10. avanahall

avanahall Member

Here is more further along the journals

Page 33

I met up with the troop in Sossua. Since the winter days I am always traveling between Charkow and Rshew- always right there where it burns-in the meantime the “gypsy-unit” was deployed near Woronesh, intrepidly holding their own, and now they are waiting here for new orders.
    A few are missing but in total everything is still holding together.

What an incredible miracle!
    Today orders came, that we should settle in here in Sossua. The pitiful quarters are supposed to be fixed for passing the winter. It is unbelievable us poor, always chased dogs should have should have peace for once?!
    Who is talking about “umbrella-theory?”

(page 34) With a lot of diligence and patience we went to work. Some things here and there could still be improved, but overall we are finished with our winter burrows.
    Now is when we should be getting our marching orders. And they are coming in deed timely as usual.

One beautiful afternoon, excited Messengers come running: “Everybody get ready in 2 hours the division will march off!” Goodbye< “jaizis” and “moloka”! It could have so nice but it wasn’t meant to be.
    On time, as ordered, the engines are humming their goodbye song and of we go in the direction of Woronesh.

(page35) We are rolling! Sweltering heat is upon us like liquid lead.
    Forced march is ordered, it seems to be foul again near Woronesh, when has it ever been different there. Ad we are ready to disregard all problems along the way, all the heat and all the dust. A few hundred kilometers lie before us and we are needed near Woronesh, urgently needed. We are surrounded by a sad barren landscape, flat,-a single desolate plane from horizon to horizon without any change. And also dust, dust, hot, hottest dust! And on the side of the road marching,- covered in unending dull tasting, white-yellow clouds, which at times make it impossible to see for hundreds of meters, a

(page36)so that one is stumbling or driving blindly-marching tenaciously and courageously as usual, the infantry, with the sun glowing, in a shadow less landscape, while the thermostat is climbing to 110 degrees every day.

The closer we get to Woronesh the more desolate the land becomes. It hasn’t been long since a bitter, bloody fight was fought here. The unplanted fields and parie extent as far as the eye can reach. The roads are no more than wide dust bands on a tree less waste land. They have their own easterly variety. The caravan roads of Mongolia must be similar. They are leading their own lives like rivers-dust streams, which flow wide, split into many tributaries, which run wide apart, split again into more tributaries, while others rejoin the(page 37) main flow, just like a stream, which is cutting its bed into plane with only a small decline.

Then all of a sudden-the road narrows-a bridge, a ground wave, some swampy water with rushes, which we had to drive through, compressing all the tributaries to a narrow one lane road. As soon as we pass through this obstacle the road flows again wide and with ease in many tributaries.

It’s surface is compacted by the countless trucks, it got bumps and holes and with it’s grayish-white with a little bit of dark grey color resembles the skin of an elephant. (page 38).

Another 30 kilometers to Woronesh. It must be over there where enormous, black smoke plumes stand. During the short rest the wind now carries the rumble of the gun thunder, a tremendous rumble, accompaniment to the bitterest combat, the eastern front has seen so far. Endless munitions columns pass us by, from the front come ambulance after ambulance, on the hood the big, white flag with the red cross whips in the air stream: Packed to the limit!
    Our faces are serious, we know that the next days will be at the same time destiny and fulfillment for some of us.

Another 20 kilometers to Woronesh!
    Now we are met by long trains of

( page 39)destitution, the last evacuees of the city, women, children, elderly, sick and disabled, drag along left and right of the sandy road towards the south. All of them to heavily loaded with the last possessions, which they saved from the rubble. For many kilometers we driving past the images of sorrow.

Suddenly there is a singing in the air, small clouds from anti-aircraft fire are standing in the sky. Quick as lightning we are taking cover in a stand of pines. With stoic serenity the columns of the wretched keep passing. Tired and exhausted they are plodding through the hot sand. And then all of a sudden-a sharp whistle, a terrible howling, - six or seven low-flying Russian bombers pass over

(page 40) their heads, release their bombs, and fire their weapons into to the helpless crowds.

There are no words to describe the horrific bloodbath, which these dogs inflicted on their own people. We can only administer first aid to few, because we have to move on, have to move to the front, where the black as ink smoke plumes are, in which we can already see the flickering flames.

Woronesh

We are sitting in the rubble of an enormous, four story barrack building. Through the empty window holes across bent and molten iron beams, across the moon crater landscape of the yard we have a view of the front all the way up to the “Red Tower”.
    (page 41).

Only weeks ago, before the big “Casino-offensive” this was our favorite observation point. Today it’s ruins are unoccupied, nobody is daring the dangerous climb. Of the last 8 people, who one after the other left to bring down their earlier fallen or wounded comrade nobody returned, all of them found their grave up high.

To the right of the tower at the end of the barracks lies the casino, an expression everybody who fought at Woronesh knows. Here and a couple hundred meters to the north-east, in the brickyard sit the Russians. These two point govern the whole sector. They are defending them (Page 42) tenaciously. Thousands must already have bleed to death here.

For six long day one bombardment followed the next in a never before seen scale. For hours there was smoke and fire. Nothing! He is not wavering.

On the 17th after another week of artillery and bomber preparations we are starting the counter attack with tanks and assault guns. We tell ourselves that after this incredible never before seen preparation of all the heavy weapons not even a mouse will survive in the ruins.

There is not much to say, by the evening of the attack one division except of a few remains is destroyed. The loss of live, weapons and tanks is heavy. The whole action was unsuccessful. It is a wonder that we can hold up against the enormous pressure by the Red the following day. Nevertheless they are able push us back to “Road 20th of October” and diminish our numbers from many batteries equipped with the “Stalin-Orgel”(multiple rocket launcher). This night is the beginning of the most critical battle for the bloody city.

The expected all-out attack by the Russians lasted for 5 long days and nights until last night. We held on to every meter of the smoking rubble field with desperate tenacity. The losses were great, but again we were able to withstand the mad assault if only by using our last inner and outer reserves.

Now it is quite, friends and enemies are lying low in the stony ruins. Through a gaping hole in the torn up wall I have a view of the depot area that had been battered by hand grenades. This has been the focal point of the assault, only yesterday the last 40 soviet tanks were attacking here. Only yesterday in the early morning glow, 5 heavy tanks all of a sudden stood in our own lines, which had assembled and come out of a close by, but obstructed ravine. Steel chains rolled over our cover holes and trenches. With their (page 45) gun muzzle on the ground, like a burrowing trunks did they stick their guns into our covers, until we got them right in front of our anti-tank guns and could shoot them down.

My heart is full of grief when I talk about these morning hours, because one of the best along with his entire gun-crew had to give their lives. Karl Wissendorf, you will live on in all our hearts, giving your live and those of your men saved all of us from being destroyed, we will never forget this!

11. avanahall

avanahall Member

In what I just posted
    I have to think that there maybe family members of Karl Wissendorf looking for information about his death?

Likewise, it would be great to connect with people who know about my grandfathers death.

Is there a place where people are connecting the dots?

12. Slipdigit

Yes, I would help you and there may be a couple of others that might could provide good help.

I certainly think you should look into getting this published.

Thread is pinned.

13. Slipdigit

How many pages do you have of his journal?

14. avanahall

avanahall Member

Word count is 70,000 words.
    Probably a normal size paperback with all the maps included.

I have been told that it is ALL exciting and a "cant put down" type read.

I would like to find one or two people who could read it and help to interpret any errors in translation but more importantly is this:

This is coming from a German and as I mentioned - the German translator mentioned there is stuff my Grandfather says that shows that what the Germans taught them in school was false.

There may be much more here that adds pieces of a puzzle to the Germans, Russians, US etc.... Because I am not WW2 knowledgeable I would have no idea.

There are also many names included in this - need someone who would be able to recognize if it ties to someone important. I would also like to include in the book all the names that are mentioned for those who may be searching for clues to their relatives. As I would love to find out what happened to my grandfather. We have 3 journals - the third one was full so that means he was working on a 4th when he disappeared.

And... to be able to recognize something that is "really important"

The publisher is ready to publish it as raw journals - yet it could be better if there was " commentary in-between" and a forward of important information. The person(s) who assist me could help give me the info to write the forward explaining some of the fact regarding these diaries with their name as writing it (I am a copywriter by profession and could assist in the writing of it).

I don't want to post much more of it online here - but maybe a bit more.

Please let me know who may be good to help me... As I mentioned, there would be full credits in the book :)

15. urqh

I should hold off on putting any more on here then and let Slipdigit advise you further. Not that we are all good folk on here. But if its worth publishing its worth buying.
    Regards

16. Slipdigit

I'll bet.
    I would not doubt that.

I was thinking about that. There would have to some background information about what was going on and of the area he was in to help the reader
    We have guys here who can recognize names, etc. Do you know if he was captured, or just went missing in action?
    I see that you are in the US. Perhaps a telephone call would help. If you could PM me your telephone number, I call you.
    If you plan on publishing, that would be prudent.
    I guess as people read this, they can offer their help. I think between several I know, we can help you. What unit was he in? Do you have a unit number?

I have sent a message to David Mitchell (DGMitchell) and have asked him to look at this thread. He is a moderator here and has good contacts with the military publishing companies. He can provide better advice than I can.

Urqh's right.

17. avanahall

avanahall Member

Dont know how to PM you :-(
    PM me and I will respond

Infact - maybe my sending ability is not available?

sniper1946 and Volga Boatman like this.
  18. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

What a read. Any first person account of "Ost-Front" is more than interesting. Love to have this one on my bookshelf....

I have spotted one thing from the text early on...."Gypsy unit". Wondering if this refers to the 'gypsy' style wanderings of a sub unit, or whether actual gypsies are involved!

Just guessing that references to Woronesh is the Russian city of Voronezh....but this is only a guess from me!

Just wondering also which publisher in English will be responsible for distribution

Nice of you to come here and spend the time to post.

Regards

Christopher Jensen, Darwin, Australia.

19. avanahall

avanahall Member

Christoper,

First I am delighted that you have enjoyed it! And seems you may be good at figuring out cities? Here is a list of Cites he has mentioned that where not translated correctly. If anyone reading this would enjoy helping me that would be fantastic!

Hvubcizo
    Kiacz-Wielki
    Krasnistaw
    Lubin
    Opatow
    Piaseczno
    Bisknjiczo-Ruski
    Molnikow
    Motkowicze-Myszow
    Babicze
    Lokacze
    Zwizhel/Zwiahel