Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Joy Lofthouse

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Nov 16, 2017.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"A female war veteran who was believed to be the last surviving female Spitfire pilot from World War II has died aged 94.
    Joy Lofthouse, who also flew Hurricanes, was one of only 164 women who were allowed into the Air Transport Auxiliary.
    The small group of female pilots dubbed the 'Attagirls' were based at White Waltham in Berkshire and were trained to fly 38 types of aircraft between factories and military airfields across the country.
    Tweeting today, former Tornado RAF pilot John Nichol, who was shot down and captured in Iraq during the Gulf War in 1991, said: 'Very very sad to hear that WW2 pilot and Spitfire lady Joy Lofthouse has died. She was a remarkable woman, a lovely lady and a trail-blazer for all women.'
    Two years ago, she was given the chance to fly again in a two-seater Spitfire - taking the controls after take-off - as part of a BBC documentary named Spitfire Women.
    She declared that piloting the famous Battle of Britain fighter again was the 'ultimate thrill'.
    In a BBC interview before take-off she said: 'I feel excited but aware of my age so hoping that things go ok, I'm not as confident as I was when I used to fly them alone when I was young. The Spitfire is such a wonderful plane. It's the nearest thing to having wings of your own and flying.'
    She added that the only difference from when she had flown the plane 70 years ago was the use of radio.
    When she used to fly there was complete silence after take off with no radio contact with people on the ground.
    After the war Ms Lofthouse, now a widow, married and became a teacher.
    Her older sister, Yvonne MacDonald, had also been a pilot in the ATA. The pair signed up in 1943 after spotting an advert in a flying magazine.
    Talking about her wartime experiences, Ms Lofthouse, from Cirencester in Gloucestershire, previously said: 'Once accepted we were treated no differently from the men - except we weren't allowed to fly in combat.
    'When the war broke out all our boyfriends would talk about was flying so when I saw the advert I decided to apply. Once I was there was no sex discrimination - I don't think those words had been invented back then.
    'It really was the best job to have during the war because it was exciting, and we could help the war effort. In many ways we were trailblazers for female pilots in the RAF.'
    Female Spitfire pilot Joy Lofthouse died 94 | Daily Mail Online

Half Track, JJWilson and lwd like this.
  2. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

Remarkable woman.