Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ju 52 with anti-magnetic Rrng -Belgian Coast

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by CNOCK, Feb 16, 2017.

1. CNOCK

CNOCK Member

Hello,

I am looking for info concerning the action and use of Ju 52 planes with anti-magnetic ring at the Belgian coast.

Foto, Ju 52 at Ostend

regards,

Cnock

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
  2. harolds

harolds Member

I'm not sure exactly what info you're looking for. As you probably know, it was a device to explode magnetic mines. I believe the RAF had a similar contraption. IIRC, they didn't work all that well. If I was flying that plane I'd be worried it would work, explode the mine and take me with it!

3. CNOCK

CNOCK Member

I am looking for the unit that used these Ju 52, and the period, where based, etc

regards,
    Cnock

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

One of the units to operate these aircraft was MSGr.1 ( Minensuchgruppe 1 ) - if you Google it, you'll find some of the info you require.

5. CNOCK

CNOCK Member

Hello Martin,

thanks, but it appears the unit I am searching for was already in 1941 at the Belgian Coast, 1st Minnesuchgruppe starts only in 1942 and nothing refers to Blegian coast

greetings,

Cnock

6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Doesn't sound like a fun gig at all, I imagine that ring would degrade aerodynamics, especially critical during an attack from enemy fighters. Flying at sea level to perform the anti-mine task also means you don't have the option to dive away if you get attacked. A very tough duty.

From what I understand the aircraft had to be able to cruise above a certain speed to bypass the explosion. Since the detonation occurred underwater, it bought a half second for the plane to evade the rising plume of water.

Ships of the day had anti-magnetic, "degaussing" technology to reduce their magnetic footprint and reduce the chance of a mine going off near them. From my understanding, these planes were trying to do the exact opposite of this. By creating a large magnetic field the goal was to trigger the mines. Am I correct in thinking the ring would be a "magnetic field generator" or something similar? This leaves me mildly confused as this device and other devices intented to increase/create magnetic fields are also called degaussers. Or possibly a "degausser" is just a device to manipulate magnetic field in general, and encompassed both decreasing an increasing magnetism?

7. CNOCK

CNOCK Member