Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Kagero Drawings

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Oregon Diver, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Oregon Diver

Oregon Diver Member

A friend recently sent me a copy of one of the Kagero 3D drawings book. This one is for the USS Arizona. It is pretty neat and very detailed . . . But for all the work they've done on these drawings, they are surprisingly inaccurate. In this case, the areas of the ship that have the most questions are the ones they've covered least or managed to just not cover. So, IMHO, buy these books if you like the pretty pictures; don't buy them for the accuracy factor.

Half Track likes this.
  2. Takao

Takao Ace

The books, to me, seem to be hit or miss. Some are very good, while others are less so. I did like the Musashi, Shinano, Iowa, Chikuma, and North Carolina. While the Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Taiho, Arizona, and Missouri were OK.

What inaccuracies did you find in the Arizona book? I have not really gone through that one yet.

3. Oregon Diver

Oregon Diver Member

The big one, of course, is the structure below the mainmast. Nobody seems to get that right despite the available deck plans. Also the searchlight platforms on the superstructure were not searchlight plats, but mounts for the forward 1.1" directors. Then the little picky things; the missing legs on the incinerator, the frames around the 5"/51 casemates, lack of the aft 1.1" director posts (they put a ready service locker there instead), the crane bases and below them is all messed up. They screwed up the main engineroom soft patches; they show the bolts, which don't show and didn't do the woodwork right, which outline the patches. I could go on, because I'm kinda anal on the subject of ARIZONA, but you get the idea I'm sure.

Half Track, Otto and Takao like this.