Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Kilroy Was Here!"

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Otto, Oct 30, 2005.

1. FramerT

FramerT Ace

How do you get individual jpg's from cartoons, Col.?

I remember those toons like it was yesterday. :D

2. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

I use a program called PowerDVD. You can play DVDs or any type of media with it and it also lets you take screenshots. There are probably a bunch of programs out there that let you do it.

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yet another great find Hessler! I've added 1,2,3 and 5 to the archive, but # 4 was cut a little short, so I left it out. No worries, it doesn't ruin the sequence at all.

Thanks, it seems the list is growing a little with every day, and I'm about to another film, an old one add an old one called "Kilroy was Here". [​IMG]

4. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

When you say archive Otto what do you mean? Are you referring to this thread or is there somewhere else? :confused:

5. Otto

Yeah, this thread, take a look at post # 1, I edit in the new info whenever I get it.

[ 09. November 2005, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Otto ]

6. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Hey Otto. Ever find that NY Times article?

7. Blazkowicz

Blazkowicz Member

*bump*

Otto, any new developments?

8. Blazkowicz

Blazkowicz Member

Check your email Otto...

9. Otto

this response is a long time coming...

Col. Hessler, I did manage to get a copy of the article. It was published in 1946 and outlines how the American Transit Association identified who they felt was the original Kilroy. A James L. Kilroy, who was ship inspector in Massachusetts. The article is brief, only 270 or so words, but it rewarded Mr. Kilroy by giving him a street car to shelter his family! I'll post more info as I get it.

Blazkowicz, got the email, thanks! I'll add this to the rest.

10. Otto

A friend of mine (not Blazkowicz) sent me an email containing links to an article about the USS Salem. As you can see there are two photos of Kilroy aboard the Salem.

http://travel.canoe.ca/Travel/USA/NortheasternUSA/2006/03/03/1471366-ap.html

I've got these two (below) decent photos from the Salem, but I'd love some better shots of Kilroy. If any Forum members happen to visit the Salem please take a few shots and send them to me, I'd really appreciate it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This info has been added to the first post in the thread...

[ 28. March 2006, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Otto ]

11. Fortune

Fortune Member

thats pretty neat, i see the sip is in good condition by looking at the pics...i hope to visit the salem soon

12. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Thanks for the update Otto. Well, I guess that resolves that mystery. Good work my friend. [​IMG]

By the way, sorry I haven't been to the forum in a while. I'll try to be aroud more often.

13. Otto

Well actually Col. Hessler , it's not quite that simple. The actual inspiration on Kilroy can not yet, (or maybe ever) be established for certain. The NY Times article is just one lead, and there were Canadian (named Clem) and British (named Chad) versions as well. Unfortunately, as widespread as the Kilroy phenomenon was, there is no concrete evidence to verify either when or where it began, nor who began it in each country (USA, England or Canada). In England, 'Kilroy' was known as 'Chad' and his slogan consisted of "Wot no...?" The blank was usually filled in with whatever there was a shortage of or whatever was being rationed at the time. Like Kilroy, Chad's origin is obscure, but British Cartoonist George Edward Chatterton is likely to have originated it. However, James J Kilroy story seems to be the most likely point of origin for the 'Kilroy was here' phenomenon, there is possible evidence of occurrences of the Kilroy much earlier than World War II. Chad was popular in England, just as Kilroy was in the US military, but nobody (other than James J Kilroy) has stepped forward to claim him as their own invention, (there were about 25 men named Kilroy in the US military during WWII). The Canadian version known as Clem was drawn from a hapless cartoon character that looked very much like kilroy, and was probably the inspiration for the Sad Sack cartoon.

The search continues...

Also, I just added another signting to the list, a sighting in the PC game Call of Duty: United Offensive, screenshot included.

14. Otto

Two additions to the list...

I walked into the room while my wife was watching Hairspray (the original 1988 version) on TV, and saw our man kilroy on the chalkboard during a scene in class, about 1 hour into the film.

I saw an alien style kilroy on the side of a missile in an episode of Futurama, the episode was called "Roswell that Ends Well"

And I'm pinning this thread as it is getting reactivated. :kilroy: :D

15. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Attached Files:

CAC likes this.
  16. wolfpaw518

wolfpaw518 Member

In the book "An Army at Dawn", about the Allied invasion of North Africa, there is mention of kilroy was here, showing up on walls in Tunis as soon as it was overrun by American forces. This would be "pre" ETO if true.

neil

17. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

In the video game Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway one objective they have for each "level" is finding 3 kilroys spread out.

18. Patches

Patches Member

I think this is the first I became aware of this phenomenon, I was aware of the "_______ was here" but not that something like it originated from WW2. Great thread!

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I ran across an interesting piece of trivia concerning "Kilroy was here".

When the Fort Knox depository was completed and the gold started moving into the depository rooms, it was 1937. When the gold was removed for re-weighing many years later (in the sixties I think), graffiti was discovered behind the gold, on walls that hadn’t been seen since 1937. Many were just signatures of the workers who had completed the walls, and even workers who had moved the gold in and covered the walls behind the gold in 1937.

And guess what was on the middle of one of the walls, at about knee level! Nothing less than "Kilroy was here" with the fingers, nose and head sticking over a fence.

20. oddthomas

oddthomas recruit

Hello all,
    Otto thought you'dbe interested to know just where "Kilroy" came from.

Tir na nOg-Orgam which is a type of writting.

I quote:
    Here's the story. It's far more interesting than a simple ABC.
    The early Celts originated a system of writing or signed communication. It's called Ogham.
    The symbols were called after various trees and plants.
    The symbols were cut into the vertical edge of a stone (from the bottom up) or into a piece of wood.
    There are hundreds of Ogham stones in Ireland - mainly in the south western part. "Kilroy, son of Here" seems to be the basic message type carried by the markings.

Referrence here: And ofcourse who could forget these stories I found here about the legends of kilroy. So I hope you all go read them it was fun sharing this with ll of you.
    Enjoy.0dd

Refernce here:
    [​IMG]
    Somehow, this simple graffiti captured the imagination of GI's everywhere they went. The scribbled cartoon face and words showed up everywhere - worldwide.​