Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Kit, First-Aid, Motor Vehicle, 24-Unit?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Union Jack Jackson, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Union Jack Jackson

Union Jack Jackson Member

Hi chaps,
    Can anyone help?
    My friend recently gave me 2 US first aid kits (tin) and after a quick search on the net I've come to the conclusion they are both Motor Vehicle first aid kits.
    Could someone confirm this?
    One kit appears to be untouched whilst the other has a few items missing but contained the id tags. I've attached a few photos (will provide more if necessary) but the big question is are they worth anything and if so, roughly how much because I want to give my friend something for them.
    Many thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    Pete

Attached Files:

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

welcome,one of the rogues here will be able to help,I'm sure....

3. thompson

thompson Member

Hi there,

Motor Vehicle First Aid Kit (12 Unit):

During World War II (1942-1945) Mine Safety Appliances Co. of Pittsburgh, PA (and others) manufactured the twelve unit Motor Vehicle First Aid Kit, originally under five digit Medical Department stock number 97773. It was a metal olive drab box with cover marking. They were equipped with wire clasps, hinges and handle. Later production bore stock numbers 9777300, then converted to 9-221-200. The later stock numbers were painted on the cover in white, such as: "Stock No." + red cross in white circle + "9-221-200".

According to FM 21-11 First Aid For Soldiers dated 7 April 1943 this kit was supplied to motor vehicles on a ratio of one kit for four vehicles, including jeeps. It was mounted in a bracket, under the dash (between gauge panel and the glove box) or other suitable place in the vehicle cab. It was not mounted at the factory, rather by the Army after delivery.

This same kit was issued to USMC units with a slightly different cover marking: "US, a red cross, and MC" across the center of the lid instead of the US Army Medical Dept. logo.

After World War II, this kit continued to be used through the 1950s. It was replaced by FSN 6545-922-1200

(i don't really know anything about the price.)

Attached Files:

• FA1.jpg
      FA1.jpg
      File size:
      46.5 KB
      Views:
    • FA2.jpg
      FA2.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Union Jack Jackson

Union Jack Jackson Member

Cheers Thompson, thanks for looking.
    It would appear these items aren't that popular so I guess they're not going to be worth that much.

5. rogernorton

rogernorton recruit

Take a look at this website http://www.gotoaid.com. It looks rather useful and very detailed - it includes everything you should utilize during "minor" emergencies. To save you some time, take a look around in Wal-mart, some of the popular shopping changes or your doctor's office, as they may have pre-organized first-aid kits for a low price.