Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

KM Cap tallies

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Erich, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

just purchased ............ :cool:

thoughts ?? I'll add some background history later when I have more time .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, nice tallies! If I had the funds, i'd think of getting back into collecting these. They really look nice in a display case along with several others of their bretherin ;-))

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

yes Carl, they are an easy collectible and hangable as you mentioned, hey when are we going to see yours shown here ? yes the digital thing I know it well, and what time really to get ours rolling .........

anyway for the first one, this talley actually replaced in time the Marineschule Friedsrichsort by order of M.L.A. on January 1, 1938 as the first battalion, the 2. battalion replaced I believe the Murwik Schule or Marienschule Kiel.

At the time in the 1930's there were two naval stations : North and Ost (East). The second talley depicts a regimental sized ship cadre division consisting of 2 battalions (Abteilungs) and each battalion was given a cap talley with desigantion and location, in this case the 2. ship cadre-battalion-East or Baltic Sea.

On November 1, 1938 the mobilization order was given for all cap tallies, and there were many, to be removed and then replaced by the official "Kriegsmarine" talley, though it was deemed by order to do so many of the NCO prep schulen and other almost independent units continued to wear their traditions in style throughout the war ...........

interesting eh ?

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

was just thinking which is quite remarkable in itself..................HEY Herr Kaleun do you have any of the U-booten tallies in your collection along with your huge U-boot photo archiv ?

E ~

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, im still testing out that digital camera and don't know when pics will be forthcoming? Also, i'd still have to be shown how to post pics when I finally get to that stage of the game ;-))

Mine are:

Ausbildungsbataillon 3.
    Ausbildungsbataillon 4.
    Kommandantur Wilhelmshaven.
    Kriegsmarine.
    Wilhelm Gustloff (if you wan't to count that one in with these?)

I have a British tally as well, but has been so long since I looked at it-I can't remember which ship it's from?

C.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl do you know what the names of the cap-talleys - your first two represent ?

7. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

No I don't. :eek:

I have thought about picking a few up, but haven't gotten around to it yet. That keeps getting bumped down the list of priorities.

To be honest, I like the printed page too much. I am always looking for new (and old) submarine and u-boat books for my reference library.

I just recently purchased a complete set of US submarine war patrol reports. Those have been worth every penny so far. Been having a ball reading these! :D

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Books are the heart and soul, Ivan have you been able to access any of the Kriegsmarine reports stationed in Frieburg under the BA/MA RM listings ?

9. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

No, though I have thought about it. It is a logical next step for my research.

I considered getting copies from the National Archives of U 552's reports some years ago. I wanted to send copies to Erich Topp for him to sign, but I learned that his health was in a sharp decline, I decided to keep my correspondence with him to a minimum.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ivan will you be going to NARA directly or do you have their catalogue listings ? I am still searching for another German contact for Freiburg, my other one fell off the earth years ago

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, not sure? I think they are either somekind of training unit or maintenence unit? I got these from George John's Mil over 10 years ago and I think that is what he said they were but--he does not know his stuff so-I can only guess on them. At one point, I was going to send all of my tallies to the U 181 guys so they could add them to their collection and display them at their metting spot at Haus Pohl in Bad Camberg. Over the yeasr-I forgot I had these w/ the exception of the Kommandantur Wilhelmshaven and Wilhelm Gustloff tallies. I might even have more that I forgot about that might be tucked away in some box somewhere.

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

hey bud it's time to look then, and get them all framed eh ? I'll probably pick up 1-2 more for the year, which ones I haven't a clue yet..........

I note the George Military guy is selling a couple but for way too much monies

E ~

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

just purchased an interesting an rare talley of the special Minen Kommando ~

Blocking Weapons Experimental Command and crews of it's vessels without name.

[​IMG]

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ol Johns is getting a bit greedy with his prices these days. The last time I bought anything from him was about 12 years ago.

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the two I saw on the site C are too expensive that is a fact, maybe at half the price I might consider. Well this will make 6 now and getting serious about mounting them on a light ship grey matt which I have with a black wood frame .................. ah but I am looking at an odd number and 7 seems to be it, then again ........ need to pick up a "Kriegsmarine talley" to set things off, though all my tallies are in the gilt-wire thread

16. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

I put this in another thread, but My father in law has a Tally from his grandfather, who got it from a captured German soldier from the Cruiser Emden.:), it looks cool.

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the Emden was quite an old ship when the war started, hand on to that Tomcat, very Cool it is, is it in the gold gilt thread like my talleys shown or a brighter yellow cellon/cotton ?

here is another purchase ~ the 3rd Flottille had quite the KM war record finally serving in the Baltic in 1945 against Soviet forces and taking part in the exodus of German civilians and military personell from the East to the West.....

[​IMG]

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice new, and rare addition to the collection ;-))