Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Koblenz military museum

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by R Fogt, Mar 3, 2001.

1. R Fogt

R Fogt Member

For those interested who are planning a visit to Germany, check out this page:

http://koblenzmuseum.homestead.com/2.html

It's not the official page of the museum ( I don't think they actually have one) but I have seen other personal webpages about this place (at Feldgrau). These pics are from my first visit in 1985 and it hasn't changed much since my last visit in 1998. Suffice to say that one can easily spend the whole day in this place. If I recall correctly, there are four floors of exhibitions plus an attached warehouse for the larger exhibits.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear R.Fogt: Once again--outstanding! Thanks for the nice photos. I have a question, where is this located compared to Frankfurt and Bad Camberg? is it anywhere near there? The reason I ask is I have been invited to another U-boat vets reunion and an anniversary in Sept 2001, and I would like to see a nice Panzermuseum.

If you can let me know, I will gtreatly appreciate it. Take care--Carl.

3. R Fogt

R Fogt Member

Dear C. Evans,

Koblenz is located at the confluence of the Rhein and Mosel rivers, approx. 50km west of Frankfurt. Not far away at all.

Also, north of Dusseldorf in Munster is an excellent museum, which you can take a virtual tour of here -
    http://www.panzermuseum.com/

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

R.Fogt: Thank you very much. I will go there providing I can make it back to Germany this year. Hopefully I will have a better camera this time. Thats great, only about 1/2 hr drive from there. If I do get to go, im going to see if I can get some of U 181s vets to go there since they all know of my interests in German history.

Also, there is a chance that providing I make it to Germany, they these U-boat vets will have a meeting held at the U-Boat memorial in Moltenort, I will keep you informed as i hear back from these men.

By the way, would it be possible if you knew the name of the German Naval Base thats just across the water from the memorial? Im just wondering.. Thanks again for all you help...

5. R Fogt

R Fogt Member

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you for these links also. I had visited the archiv about sept 20th 2000. Not much has changes, except Horst has more items on display.

I had not known of this other site, I will explore it after I get back form a funeral out of town.

7. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Great work, thanks for the the links guys.

8. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Thanks a lot for giving us these links, do you know of any that would be on the different german aircraft during the war?

9. R Fogt

R Fogt Member

To: A.GREG
    Re: German Aircraft

Go to:
    http://www.unsere-luftwaffe.de/

When you place your cursor over the links on the main page it automatically translates them to English. You should be able to find what you're looking for here.

Regards,

R Fogt

10. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The Linkmeister strikes again! ;) This was one of the few ones I already had before you gave it to me, but thanks very much.

11. Miro

Miro Member

I have actually been to the Military Museum in Koblenz, it is fairly small, but packed with all kinds of "goodies". It took me about 3 hrs to go through. The museum is very heavy on handguns etc, with the groundfloor conatining a bunch of artillery, tanks, planes and helicopters from all periods (including a Soviet Mil-Mi 24 'Hind'-WOW!!). If you are into rifles and pistols, you will enjoy it a lot, since it contains thousands of those. Moreover there is some books and magazines you can purchase on-site. I think admission is like DM 2,- , and it is well worth visiting.
    Koblenz lies about half-way between Frankfurt/Main and Cologne, on the A3 Autobahn and on the ICE train route between those two cities. It was founded by the Romans as Confluentes and lies in a major wine growing region. To the Northeast is the Westerwald, with ample opportunity to hike , while Northwest is the Eifel with prehistoric Volcanoes and lakes. It is a major garrison town and the Bundeswehr maintains a number of barracks' in this area.
    Hope this helps, and if you have any more queries, feel free to mail me.
    Regards
    mIRo