Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Korean War Confusion

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Dylan Haney, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Dylan Haney

Dylan Haney New Member

First, I'd like to apologize about posting this on a WW2 forum, but you guys really know your stuff and I couldn't think of a better place to post.

So, I recently got my great grandpa's records, and I knew a little bit before, but looking at the records, I'm completely confused. Everything seems to have checked out with what I know, but it says his most significant duty assignment was with the 526th Armored Infantry Battalion. Now, I've heard about the 526th but only in WW2 with the Battle of the Bulge and other battles. I can't find anything online connecting the 526th and Korea. In fact, I can't find too much at all about the 526th AIB.

I've listed his records below. As you can see, there's some printing issues with the original copy which cuts off the first part of his duty assignment (wonderful). I've listed his photograph below too. I think the photograph was taken in the fall or winter of 1953 after the war, and I think he got his Combat Infantry Badge in the Korea, Summer 1953 campaign. If you look at his shoulder patch, it clearly seems to be a 2nd Infantry Division patch. So, what the hell's going on I wonder? I've checked organizations for the 2nd Infantry Division and the rest of the I Corps for that time, and can't find anything about the 526th AIB! Also, what's with the UNDSM medal?

20190830_103515_compress69.jpg grandpathurm.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    CAC likes this.
  2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Postwar the 526th AIB was reactivated for a time as one of the school troops at Fort Knox. It was not the unit he served with in Korea, but the unit he was assigned to when discharged. It is likely he was 9th, 23d, or 38th Infantry.

3. Dylan Haney

Dylan Haney New Member

That just about solves it for me! I see his patch was with the 2nd Infantry so all I can do now is check out their movements and operations in the summer of 1953. Thanks for the help!