Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Kradmantel

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Skipper, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Gents and Ladies,

Who can help me to find a German Kradmantel , a real one , not a repro or a French post WW2 one model ? what would the budget be? I have been offered one for about 400$. It is complete with all the buttons and green cloth but has no more shoulder tabs. Is this a good price or should I wait? :)

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

The post war French ones, Soviet/Czech ones and repro ones seem to go for between $100 and $250.

Original ones appear to be very rare, one I found is this for $250, and not completely convinced is genuine, although could be;

Wehrmacht Kradmantel Original Militärische Antiquitäten

and this old auction from 2002 starting price EUR 155;

Willkommen zu unseren Auktionen!

and the wehrmacht-awards one Ray posted from last year at EUR163;

Think $400 is possibly a little high, but they do seem rare so if condition is good enough could be ok.

sorry not many genuine ones online at the moment to compare the price with, hope it helps :)

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

I found this post from another forum skip, funny? but interesting info..

[​IMG]by BillyG » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:16 am
    Having owned several original Kradmantels, I'd tell you to save your money and time.

1. The buttons are a pain. They are difficult to button (BIG buttons...small holes). The thread that is used to fasten them breaks...and unless you know the proper tech. for attaching...it will make buttoning that button more difficult than it already is.

2. They are hotter than a whore's c#nt. They do not breath. You need to get one 2 sizes larger than what you normally wear to go over what you are wearing to stay warm in the winter.

3. The collar is not that high, is difficult to button (single button tab) and water pours in unless you use a scarf around your neck...or have a thick neck that plugs the collar [​IMG]

4. Whether you wear it open or in the "diaper" mode...your crotch will get wet. If you are not wearing knee boots your lower legs will get wet. Water sails up the sleeves and through the pleat in the lower sleeve.

5. The reproduction's I have seen are made of a stiff inferior fabric.

6. It is not something that is made to take on and off...it is meant to be worn over a uniform all day long. If you choose to get one...you will soon see what I mean.

I live in FL and ride everyday, hot or cold (yes, it does even snow here occasionally), rain or shine...lived here 47 years so I know all about rain. You would be much better off with a high quality rain jacket and lap robe. I recommend an AeroStitch Darian and Langlitz lap robe. The lap robe will give you the "button" fetish fix you desire and keep your lower half bone dry (and keep water out of the air cleaner) and the "Darian" will keep the upper half dry and is much, much more practical...expensive...but practical. So unless you are a WWII re-enactor, have a rubber fetish or S&M bent...I'd re-think the Kradmantel thing. Plus, unless you live somewhere like Illinois (Illinois Nazi's...Blues Brothers joke), you may get the wrong kind of attention running around on a "German" looking motorcycle wearing a Kradmantel. It might be as dumb as driving around with a machine gun attached to your rig...now what jerk would do that I ask ya [​IMG] ?

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

You learn something every day - I didn't even know what a 'Kradmantel' was until I opened this thread....:eek:

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks Gentlemen, I've also heard the word "Klepper". "Kradmantel" ( litterally "bike coat") is nothing less than a coat you wear on a bike.
    I have no intention to wear it and get soaked . It is really for a mannequin so I don't mind the large button details. I have seen them in two shapes, including small ones adapted to avoid the small holes when cold hands.
    I allready have a French version, they are very similar but buttons are different and pockets in the wrong place and shape + the collar tabs are wrong etc... so I'm getting tired of it and want the real thing now. They are not rare, in fact I know two close friends who have one. the trouble is that if they are kept folded over the years, they get irremediadly lost, but collectors know that and keep them on hangers or on mannequins.
    I will be patient, if you find a real one (don't bother sending links with repros) I'd gladly have a look. Europe is ok, avoid overseas, as the considerable weight would add at least 60$ shipping from the U.S.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

As Ray said, $400 aint t bad going price. I know a few guys who have several but dont know for what rank, or branch of service. I could always call up Don and ask to see what he has if you wish? ;-)) Don is THE GUy who got me into uniforms and rank insignias. Oh and, all of his will be complete with insignia as he doesnt collect anything without insignia-unless he has the correct stuff to add it it.

Skipper likes this.
  8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks Carl, the trouble is that they are very heavy and shipping costs would be tremendous high if shipping has to be from overseas. You can always ask your friend, but I doubt it would be an interesting quote, but he you never know.