Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Kreigsmarine's flight from the Ostsee 1945

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Erich, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ship icon please ! .....drum roll now.....

Gents :

I have just received in the mail today from International Import Book Service one of the finest little books on this almost unknown part of the Naval War in 1945.

Wolfgang Müllers Schiffsschicksale Ostsee 1945, Bilder und Dokumente.

for a small sum of under $18.00 US this is one fine book measuring 5/8ths thick and 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches. Craem coloured cover with 5 freighters? enroute to ? Printed in 1996, this is the brand new 2001 re-print. Documents and photos throughout the book. 179 pages, excellent paper and inside the front cover and the back covers, 2 of the best maps I have seen covering the land areas of Swinemünde and Sothewest of the Ostsee during 1945.

this is published through Koehlers Verlag mbH in Hamburg. ISBN # 3 7822 0612 6

Most of the photos, at least 7/8ths I hae never seen before with about 8 excellent maps included through the text. Wolfgang surely has done his research with his credits a mile long at the back of the book. many first person accounts, and excellent views of the ships that took part in engagements against the Soviets and the rescues of refugees during this most turbulent of times. Almost like a mini After the Battle type book in some respects......as it shows small villages before the war, during and now at present....

Well I must get this book read at once.

a fine tribute to the men and women of this era and what resilency was still on the part of the German peoples.
    ISBS by the way can order any GErman title and they are based in Lynchburg Tennessee. Excellent service as they order over the phone that day ! Try them.

E

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

!!!!!! by the way the book took 20 days from ordering to Germany and back to Tennessee and to the west coast in Oregon where I live......

Total was $13.61..... now that is a deal !!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

happy as a calm on a sandy beach covered with sand fleas.....eeeeeeks :eek:

E

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

Sorry for the repeated posts on this book, but I wanted to give the particulars on this book search firm. Like I said they can order any German book that is still in print as long as you have the ISBN number.

International Book Import Service, Inc.

URL: www.IBIService.com
    e-mail: ibis@IBIService.com

Telephone toll free in the states: 800-277-4247
    FAX, toll free: 866-277-2722

viele Glück !

E

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Excellent!!, now im assuming its only in German? Im not good enough at translating pure German text yet.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I don;t think you will have much problem with the German Carl. The photos and maps speak for themselves, and for late war photos in all the chaos during the retreat, I think they came out well. Several ships I had not heard of before with an interesting Flakkreuzer that was suppose to defend the Scheer? or Lutzow in march April of 45. It was sunk by RAF bombs in may of 45. Armed to the teeth with 4cm bofors and an old, and I mean old dual 203mm gun forward.

E

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

@#$%&, &@^#%$ ((The sound of my hands rubbing together) at the possibility of getting this book very soon)).

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Get it ASAP so we can converse about it. I have some questions to bounce off your head on this theater of operations......I'm going to show this book to my German friend who left Hela in May of 45 for Copenhagen on the freighter Sachsenwald and although he was east of the area of Swinemünde this still comes into his known area, as he is quite familiar with the encirclement by the soviet forces. He will flip out at the details in this thing.

E :D :D

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I'll try to get it soon, but my translation of German is schlecht at best.

Also, a news flash--I actually recieved a reply to my Schnellboot photo from dk, and he said he was amazed i had not told him this before to which i expolained that I had sent probably 15 emails asking for the status on my photo and never recieved any reply. So he says he will need time to get into storage and check his paperwork--another stalling tactic.