Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

KvK2+Cert signed Luftwaffe General der Flieger

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Martin Bull, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Now here's something I'm really pleased with. I've been reading a lot recently about the Stalingrad air operations. I seem to have lots of time in Lockdown to browse e-bay and came across a listing from a dealer who specializes in autographs of TV stars, politicians, sportsmen and other 'celebrities'. Amongst all this stuff he was listing a Kriegsverdienstkreuz mit Schwerten certificate.

It's issued to an Unteroffizier ( possibly groundcrew or technician ) of 1./ZerstorerGruppe 1 who operated Bf110s on the Eastern Front. It's dated 16 September 1942 (at the height of Stalingrad) and has the original signature of General der Flieger Kurt Pflugbeil, Kommandierende-General Fliegerkorps IV and holder of the Knights Cross with Swords.

At £40, I had to have it ! As I hit the 'buy' button I noticed the listing finished by saying '...includes medal' which wasn't in the photo. It arrived, complete with perfect KvK2 mit Schwerten and envelope.

Pflugbeil was a highly-regarded officer who served in both World Wars, in WWII primarily responsible for Luftwaffe operations in the Ukraine, Crimea, Caucasus - and Z.G.1 were involved at Stalingrad, taking heavy losses. Pflugbeil was captured by the Russians in the Courland Pocket in 1945 and wass sentenced to 25 years. Released in 1954 due to ill-health, he died in 1955.

For me, this is a great piece for my Eastern Front colelction, and looks nice, I think, with a suitable Bf110 model....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

KC+crosses-a rarity. Congrats my firend! Sometimes the signature is worth more than the paper is written on.....

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Thanks, Kai - yes, it was a 'lucky' e-bay find. I've searched the internet and found two previous sales of Pflubeil's signature - one for E120.- and the other at $150. So mine wasn't bad at £40, including certificate, medal and envelope ! But above all for me, it's a nice piece of 'Eastern Front' memorabilia.

Kai-Petri likes this.