Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Laboe memorial

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Erich, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

guys, anyone have access to a URL that covers this tall monument on the German coast ? Carl ?

~E

2. KmPok

KmPok Member

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

KmPok :

many thanks as this is a good start. Will do a www.google.de search on Monday to see what's up there....

~E

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

A rather large *bumb* for Carl since he has been here ! Hey friend !!! ;) :D

~E

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I'm late today.

I think there is a Laboe site--possibly: www.laboe.de

You should see a few pics of Laboe--not the exact area Suanne and I were but--very near it. The pics were taken much farther down the beach--we were much closer to the Memorial. I think these pics might have been taken as far away as Moltenort--where the Uboat Memorial is located.

[ 23. June 2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich--check out the site--they have added Panorama shots in different sections of Laboe.

The only thing I noticed that has changed since Susanne and I were there--is that the top of the Ehrenmemorial--they have added a fence at the very top of the memorial--which was not there whan we were there. Anyway, visit the panorama shots and you will see more of Laboe than we did.

Also--in the Panorama shot from the top outside of the memorial--the street below is the street we stayed in a hotle located there.

Heh heh--when dusk came--I went outside and took a few panorama shots of the coastline. They turned out pretty fair--considering the kind of camera I had with me.

Also--when you look at the panorama shot of outside the U 995--after I finished taking my coastline pics (I really wish I had had a much better camera when I took the pics) I shuck around the sand dune which I guess was supposed to act as a "fence" to keep people out of at night but--didn't work for me. I went up to the boot--and proceeded to take many more outdoor shots. I walked around it--touched its sides--thought of the men who served on board this boat and thought of the close calls to death that they went through. I snuck around it for about 30 minutes--then I retreated to the public sidewalk--as I didn't want anyone to think I was there to vandalize it.

I sat on a bench with a great view of the uboat in front of me--and under a great view of the lit up Memorial over to my right. I sat there for about 30 minutes and decided to go inside--as it was getting much colder outside with the winds starting to gust.

While outside though--I had met a cool couple from Canada and we talked for about 15 minutes or so--then they went for a stroll towards and in front of the memorial.

Ask me what you need to know. The Laboe website pretty much says it all. But--ask me what you will..... [​IMG]

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

tomorrow then my friend ! just won a nice pic of the memorial at the war's beginning. A very cool postcard. Will have Volkbert display it here I hope........ ;)

I envy your trip Carl, sounds like it would of been wild to stand next to the boot as well as tour through the memorial and see it first hand.
    Maybe some day / I feel the waves calling me...

~E

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

At one time--I had won a wartime Laboe memorial, postcard--paid for it but never was mailed to me--you guessed it--another fragging ripoff from eban.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

geez Carl e-baloney has sure stung U hasn't it !
    I wonder if it maybe the same photo pose ?

~E

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Yup--more ebay creeps. Luckily I wasn't out more than I think $5,00--I can't remember since its been about 3 or 4 years since this happened.

Yep--you found a site but--I don't know f it is THEIR site. Anyway--it must be and the things showed in the pics that showed anything--were exactly as I remember them.

If you look at the drawing of the memorial look at the building on the right side of your screen--its full of dozens and dozens od ships modles including one of the Bismarck that is around 20 feet long--or maybe 15 feet long? I can't remember.

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I think I am seriously going to put this on my list when we visit Germany in 5 or so years.....

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Laboe is definately on my list again as well as Wilhelmshaven, Heidelberg, and this time--I want to also see Berlin and Vienna.

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Yep U must go to Wien with a Honey Carl ! ;)
    this was my wifes and my favorite large city in Germany/Austria to explore.....we will return no doubt.

~E

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Yeah--I also want to walk (Or ride bicycles) the famous sites of the city and visit Kunsthestoreches museum. They have the worlds biggest collection of Medevil armor.

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

isn't the armory.....the big one stationed in Graz ?

I'm outta here for a few hrs.

~E

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I don't know--you got me on that one. But--if ever in Switxerland--go to Solothurn and visit their old arsenal. They hava a few thousand suits of armor there too. [​IMG]