Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lack of information regarding early Sturmgeschutz assault guns

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Tiger of Vitebsk, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Tiger of Vitebsk

Tiger of Vitebsk New Member

Kind greetings to everyone,

I am newly registered on these forums, with the intent to learn even more about the second world war, a theme for which I have much enthusiasm for many years.

I write in regard to the early (short barrel) versions of the Sturmgeschutz assault guns (A,B,C,D,E). What I'd like to know is - up to which year did these vehicles saw action ? Since they were largely succesfull, and produced in relatively large numbers, I found that after 1942, these vehicles are seldom mentioned in books and such. So basically they are prominent during Barbarossa, and after it's all about the latter models (F,G). What happens to the surviving short barrel vehicles after 1942 (and the surviving crews that operated them) ? I am aware that some of the C/D models were fitted with the long barrel 75mm PAK with the Saukopf mantlet.
    Were there any short barrels that saw action during the later years of the war ? This is the main thing that eludes me. There must have been some to operate in any theatre of war post 1942 and 1943 ?
    Any interesting photos of such would also be appreciated.
    Thanks for any assistance!
    Greetings.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Production of the E model ended in March 1942, with 272(out of 500) being produced, by July 1943, only 37 were still fit for action.

I would think that any of the L/24s that remained unmodified would have been used by training units, and would have been pressed into combat service during the last ditch battles of 1945.