Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lake Christine Fire

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Mussolini, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I live up in the Rockies. We had a terrible winter - only about 50% of our average snowpack. We basically had 2-weeks of winter, where the temps were freezing or below. This has led to a very early summer, where we've been having 85'f+ weather about a month earlier than normal. I can count the number of days its rained on one hand.

We're in a Level 2 Fireban - no campfires, period, not even in metal containers. The only cooking outdoors you can do is on a gas-grill. No smoking, of any sort, outdoors either. No welding without special permit. All engines need spark plugs, etc etc. No shooting tracer rounds at a gun range.

So some idiot couple did exactly that - shot tracer rounds at a local gun range. I hope they throw the book at this couple as 500+ homes have been evacuated now, 150+ firefighters are on scene, along with several aircraft and helicopters. The fire started Tuesday Evening and is 0% contained.

I am safe where I am, about 20 miles upvalley from the blaze, but the next town to me is right in its path. Luckily the highway in that area runs on the other side of the river. It is threatening all the power to this area so I could be without power for 72hours but I think they managed to save the powerlines.

Here are some recent pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you google 'Lake Christine Fire' you can find more images and updates!

2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear you are safe, forest fires are fast moving, and very unpredictable. Arizona is in a similar situation, we pretty much don't have monsoons anymore, and our winter was just as weak as up in the Rockies. When I was 8 years old, and living in Monument, Colorado, near Colorado Springs. We had the fire department come to our house and tell us we had 15 minutes to grab what we needed and leave, and meet at the community entrance, they didn't tell us if it was real or a drill until after our community was evacuated, it was a drill. But not knowing that, me and my family were sufficiently terrified for our home and lives. 3 years ago, a massive fire went through the community next to where we had lived, and many family friends tragically lost their homes and some even lost their pets as those can't always be evacuated.

3. Mussolini

Since this morning, the fire has doubled in size (up to some 5,000 acres burned) and still 0% contained. 3 Homes have been confirmed burnt to the ground from the embers - apparently the sap in the trees is making the trees exploded when they catch on fire and the winds have made things unpredictable. Humidty (as low as it is) is supposed to rise a little and the winds are supposed to lessen as well.

They've named the couple (23 years old) who started the fire. Apparently not only are tracer rounds not permitted during the fire ban, but tracer rounds period are not allowed on the gun range at all...so double the whammy in that regard. They'll be tarred and feathered and run out of town by the locals!

4. lwd

lwd Ace

I don't know if it was a state or a commercial/private range. If the latter then about all that can happen for violating range rules is banning from the range. If it's a state range there may be a (probably fairly minor) fine. On the other hand I suspect the penalties for violating fire ban is pretty significant and there's a good chance they can be held liable for at least some of the damage. I also suspect that there are quite a few people in the area that think making an example of them at this point would be of some considerable benefit. Being run out of town may be quite a ways down on their list of worries.

5. Mussolini

I believe the gun range was on state land. In CO it appears you can only be held accountable for up to $1 Million in damages. 3 Homes have been destroyed thus far, plus all the wildland, and some power poles. A kid in Oregon got slapped with a $13 Million / 10 years probation / 1,000 Hours Community Service for setting off a fire in a canyon that burned I think 50,000 acres and burned for months. His name was withheld due to the anger in the community. He is only 16 years old (and had thrown a smoke bomb into the canyon which caused it to erupt into fire). So I guess different states have different rules regarding responsibility and damages.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Be safe, and that's an order.

7. Mussolini

The fire is now headed North...which is mostly aware from the nearby towns and all. Up to 8,300 acres burned and still at 0% contained. The Feds have taken charge of the whole operation and now Denver is sending firefighters to help out too.

8. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Take care of yourself man.

9. Takao

Takao Ace

Looks like the couple are facing forth degree arson charges. If convicted will mean 6 year prison terms for both. And the DA does not sound like he will be offering plea deals.

10. Natman

Natman Member

I didn't realize the fire was that close to the highway. Good to hear it's moving away from populated areas. Debris flows are likely to be a problem if the rains ever come back. Lived in Glenwood during the late 70's-late 80's and was in Rifle when Storm King happened. Glenwood was known in geology circles for mud flows in the 80's.

Now living 5-6 miles west of Montrose. Have a small weather station at the house and it measured .14" during May/June. So far, nothing in July.

Totally agree with JJ's assessment of the monsoon moisture. It's still talked about like it happens but the last number of years what little reaches CO tends to go further east, such as the 1" La Veta got yesterday. Clear days in the mountains are becoming rare, usually a haze of dust hanging in the air and smoke combines with it in the fire season. CA firefighters say their fire season is pretty much year-round now.

Tax payers cover the fire fighting cost, and if convicted, will cover incarceration costs for the young couple and same story for the guy accused of starting the Spring Creek fire.

Steve

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    JJWilson likes this.
  11. Mussolini

Exactly - now that the fire has destroyed a home, the charge gets up as it caused damage to a residence, so thats where the 6-year term in Federal Prison applies (not to the actual fire part, but destruction of personal property/endangering of life).

We're up to almost 500 firefighters out here now that the Feds have taken over but still expecting it to burn for a few weeks. Some moisture expected next week - but nothing guaranteed. Like I said earlier, I can count the number of days we've had rain this summer on one hand. Brutally hot today (in the 80's, not a cloud in sight, everything is baking) but very little wind. Not sure what the situation down there in Basalt is like.

3 of the 4 Powerlines into town are down and they're waiting on the firefighters to clear the area before they can repair them. The one line still up (Basalt is the hub for power coming up valley) is apparently in 'low danger' at this stage so the power should stay on!

My boss is still evacuated with no timetable on being able to move back into his home. Little danger of it catching fire though - the fire has moved well north of him. Luckily he has a camper that him and his family are in.

JJWilson likes this.