Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lancaster LM206 crash from 514 Squadron

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Slipdigit, Jul 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Moderator note:

This thread created for discussion of Lancaster LM206 of 514 Squadron, lost NW of Neufchateau.

Copied from thread:
    http://www.ww2f.com/new-member-forum/25117-new-recruit-here.html

Skipper wrote:

Skipper wrote:

Claire wrote:

2. Claire

Claire Member

Dear Slipd,

Thanks for organising this post, I got in contact with Thomas Harvell and we had along conversation. He was very interesting and we shall keep in contact. In my last post I said my father was a pow in Stallag 7, that is incorrect he was in Stalag luft VII. I still have no confirmation on whether that piece of the engine is in St Dizier any one any ideas? Thanks :trouble:

krieg likes this.
  3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello Claire, Just wanted to let you know I'm back on the field. Glad you made contact with Mr Harvell, this is wonderful news. I will try to find out more about this engine.

4. Claire

Claire Member

Hi Skipper,
    I know who has one of the engines, a local farmer, it fell into his river, he retreived it, but did not get to meet him on my trip down to Neufchateau, maybe next time......... I met with wonderful people who gave me a lot of information about the crash, and also vsisted the approximate crash site, very interesting ..at present am researching which missions my Dad flew on, as his memory is a bit hazy!.....

Anne in Alaska likes this.
  5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Claire, I don't believe you missed a lot about the engine and don't think one farmer could have retrieved an entire Rolls Royce Merlin engine with a tractor, especially from a River. Even the German Bergung Commandos could not retrieve those systematically from there and they had cranes and tripods. It would likeley be a piece of the engine , but I'd be surprised if the engine block was there too, we are talking about several thousands kilos here. Now everything is possible with those sly farmers. At my hometown, neither the Germans nor the French could retrieve the four half buried engines. So they are still buried there, until they were forgotten and someone build a house on top of them some decades ago. I have one local example of a Rolls Rolls engine that was retrieved in 1944. The Germans were so proud of their job that they put it on dipslay for several months. Usually they'd managed to get them out but bits by bits. In Normandy a lady called me to come and look at a "Lancaster wing" in her barn. When I finally got there, it appreared to be the main longeron, which is still an impressive 5 meter long piece, but is just a big spar and not the entire wing.

Anne in Alaska likes this.
  6. Claire

Claire Member

Hi Skipper,

I agree, I was given a newspaper cutting of the farmer next to his piece of 'engine', he had tried to sell it to museums, there were no takers so it remains in his barn..

7. Milavia

Milavia Member

Hi Skipper, It is great to now have access to the forum and I thank you for your kind assistance in this regard.

My father’s brother (my uncle) was Sgt Robert (Bob) Lane No 1895981 514 Squadron Royal Air Force, born at Hereford in 1914. Bob went down over France the night of 28/29th July 1944. I am sure this is the same Bob Lane Mid-upper Gunner mentioned by Thomas Henry Harvell in his Article A5655521“Adventures of Tom Harvell Part 1”.
    I am fortunate to possess: 1) Notice that appeared in a local paper at the time “Grave of English Airman – Stonehouse Mother’s Visit to French Cemetery”. 2) Letter 20/12/1944 from Sgt. Thomas H. Hanwell to Bobs mother (my Grandmother) in which he outlines the series of events surrounding the fate of Bob that tragic night. (Are Sgt Thomas H. Hanwell and Thomas Henry Harvell one of the same?) 3) Bob’s Scroll of Honour. 4) Photograph of Bob and 11 comrades taken outside one of the huts with a plaque “No 124COURSE Air Gunners Squad 22 date 4/11/43”. I also received today from Sqd 514 a listing of the Ops that Bob did at 514 Squadron for which I am eternally grateful.
    During her visit to Neuefchateau in 1946, my grandmother received photographs of the grave from Miss Louis Yvonne who secretly took the pictures and regularly tended the grave. Sadly these pictures are missing but I hope to visit the cemetery shortly.
    I am keen to obtain more information about Bob, who I understand “was the oldest member of the crew, having seen a great deal of life”, and to contact other relatives of the crew.
    I am so pleased to be on board.

Milavia

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Milavia, glad you could make it in.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good to have you here. I have been studying the Stuttgart Operation since 2003. I know Thomas Harvell and a relative of Mr Robinson. As soon a si have time I will post pictures of Neufchateau.

I took the liberty to move your postings to the Neufchateau Lancaster (LM206) thread.

10. Milavia

Milavia Member

Good move, you are a star thank you. I will get the hang of this sometime I guess!
    The best
    Milavia

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You are welcome, Tomorrow I will have the time to sort my files out for you.
    On Saturday morning I will be away though, I am hunting for WWII relics at our local fleemarket. I usually find some great items for small prices there

12. bigfun

bigfun Ace

What a great thread!! I'll be watching for more!! And Welcome to you both! Thanks fo sharing all of this with us!

13. Milavia

Milavia Member

Re: re my uncle Sgt Bob Lane 514 Squadron LB LM206
    I had a very interesting and long telephone conversation with Thomas Harvell yesterday and now know a lot more about that fateful night of 28th/29th July 1944. I have sent him copy photograph of 12 members of 124 Course Air Gunners Squad 22 taken Waterbeach 4 Nov 1943, also press cutting on his visit to Neufchateau with the crews parents in 1946. I would dearly like to make contact with Claire Robinson and would be pleased initially to receive a private message for this purpose. Needless to add I would be pleased to hear from anyone else who may have information on Bob Lane and LB LM206.

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Glad you are in touch with Thomas Harvell. He is a great man isn't he? I will contact you later today when I return from work and will give you claire's details. Mr Robinson currently lives in South Africa. I will also send you pictures of Neufchatel.

15. Milavia

Milavia Member

Hi Skip,
    Just to let you know I sent Claire a PM and heard from her this morning.

She is currently in South Africa with George - now 87 - and I am sure we will continue to keep in regular contact with each other.

Things just continue to get better and better dont they!

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Excellent, you have been doing great so far! Please send my regards to Claire. She must be delighted to be in touch with you. This is my lunch break, I will be home after a few more hours of work and will be able to look for the documents you requested.

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I have just sent pictures of your uncle's grave to your email address :)

18. Milavia

Milavia Member

Duly received thank you. In return I have sent some pictures to your e-mail address earlier today.
    The best

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

they arrived safely too! thanks a lot. I have written a Christmas card to T Harvell today and mentionned meeting you.

20. Milavia

Milavia Member

Help Please - Michael Lane nephew of Robert Lane one of the five airman killed when Lancaster LM206 was shot down over Neufchateau 28/29th June 1944 see previous posts.
    Some time back I was in touch with Claire Wager stepdaughter of George Frederick Robinson now in S. Africa and we exchanged documents of mutual interest by mail. Sadly my computer crashed some time ago and I lost her e-mail address etc. I have a need to contact Claire again, so if anyone is still keeping in touch with her could they please ask her to contact me at mikej.lane@tiscali.co.uk. Thank you.