Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lance Armstrong the Tour biggest cheater falls eventually

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by chocapic, Aug 24, 2012.

1. chocapic

chocapic Member

2. Clementine

Clementine Member

I am afraid I can't find anything to laugh at. I find it very sad that there are so few people out there that we can trust and believe in.

I didn't honestly pay much attention to the whole Armstrong thing because I simply thought, "Here we go again." I hate that it seems to be the norm now.

Very sad, for all us really.

3. ptimms

ptimms Member

I thought it was innocent until proven guilty on this board and in the States. There has been no evidence offered yet as to his guilt or innocence.

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

As Armstrong passed all of the 500+ tests he underwent while competing, and was only "convicted" on hearsay evidence, I don't take this all that seriously. It is sad for Lance, and in his interview this morning he explained that he was just tired of defending himself against a "fog" of rumors. As another said, now it is guilty until proven innocent.

Surviving a particularly nasty variety of testicular cancer, and competing at the international level is admirable in itself.

5. Clementine

Clementine Member

Of course it's important not to rush to judgment, legal or otherwise, but damage is done, and Armstrong's supporters will support and his haters will hate and there will forever be a controversy. And there will be the discussion about taking away his titles, and then all of the fallout if they are taken away.

There isn't anything to cheer about in this mess.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

That is true Clemmy, only one bright spot has come to the fore, Nike will retain him on contract (so far).

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Not very nice news. His image was the kind of hero we need today. I won´t believe until it is written in stone though that we lost that hero.

Our own Finnish hero is Saku Koivu and when he returned to play for Montreal after the cancer treatments we knew he was a hero there,too.

Sorry I did not find any better clip...but you can hear it at least... :)

Saku Koivu Returns from Cancer, Retour de Saku Koivu - YouTube

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I don't follow him and bike racing world.

I understand that he never failed a drug test. Is that correct?

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Never failed a single test for drugs, or enhancing chemicals. All the "evidence" against him is hearsay, mostly by one of his team mates who was disqualified from cycling for drug use. Sour grapes?

10. Clementine

Clementine Member

You are right. I did hear Nike's statement saying they believed in the mission of the Armstrong Foundation and they would continue to support it and him. That is good news!

Okay, something to cheer about.

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

So, he never failed a single blood test looking for performance enhancing substances. He has one witness against him who tested positive himself. Is there anything else?

What exactly is the The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency?

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Actually Jeff, it seems that there was only ONE former team mate who had lost his medal, and then started this whole thing, and later others seem to have also decided to take the anti-Armstrong position. But he did pass all the tests given while he was competing, with the exception of a failure for cortisone steroid which was approved for his use in a cream to treat saddle sores. I think Lance is just tired of the fight, he has other things to do and is simply moving on.

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

That seems to sum it up. Armstrong never failed a blood test, so I'm not sure what to make of all this.

The USADA was created in 2000 to ensure the Olympic athletes of the US were "drug free". They seem to have some sort of vendetta against Armstrong. He didn't admit to any wrong-doing, just that he was tired of fighting. I guess we'll never know the truth. Neither side seems willing to compromise.

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

This article explains... How Armstrong Could 'Get Away With Stuff With Everybody Looking' | Playbook | Wired.com Marion Jones denied doping. They took away her medals. She later admitted to cheating...After seeing some really crooked stuff at the Oly's, I for one am very happy they played hardball with Armstrong...Clemons was guilty too- his best friend testified- they didn't win the prosecution though..Deny, deny, deny... The list is endless... B Bonds...Smoke /fire thing....Penn State- how did that pedo get away with what he was doing for sooo long - a lot of people knew what he was doing, but said nothing...All about money.

15. Clementine

Clementine Member

I don't really understand how you have a case if there is not a postive drug test, but one NYT article by Juliet Macur says that Travis Tygart, chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, has at least 10 witnesses, and said:

"Tygart would not divulge the names of any of the witnesses. But one thing was clear: they were the crux of the antidoping agency’s evidence against Armstrong. And in the doping world, that is known as a nonanalytical positive — an athlete implicated not by a positive drug test but by supporting evidence."

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the outfit from the US does not have the authroity to ban him from any event that involves cycling nor has the authrotiy to remove any of his TdF titles...........period ! I still think personally he and his former teamates of Discovery are all a bunch of dope head cheaters ..............

keep watching the news but go to a bike backed news media channel bicyling.com might be good

17. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Well I LMAO about the title you choose for the thread! If anybody lost it was the Tour itself, the corrupt pigs that organize it, the syccophantic french press and the poor naive souls that take an interest in the "Tour de Pharmacie". So the Seppos did what neither the Tour itself, nor the french authorities managed to do, they caught Armstrong! Well done and well deserved for the cheater, but every international and french anti-doping agency that pretended doing so till now, doesn't look very good, maybe they didn't want to catch anybody?!?. Anyhow, the grande boucle has always been about doping still is all about doping and always will be about doping....the only thing that differentiates Armstrong from the rest is that he didn't accept to be the press' and the organizers toy boy....and that he had brass cojones, so the "Grande Nation" choose to make him the Adolf Hitler of cycling. (and I mean this literally as you know very well).

There is no "Clean" athlete competing in the Tour, they all start at the age of 13 and go on till the end of their career. Do you think they would go up the Alpe d'Huez like an express train on pasta and cereal bars? Todays guys aren't different from Merckx or Hinault, it's just different substances and procedures.

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

He should have been thrown out many years ago, when the French anti -doping agency came up with the first positives, they were called corrupt, then the Swiss agency, now it's an American one . what more will it take to convince the last supporters, if any, that Lance is a cheat? It is sad for sport in general but Armstrong got what he deserved . I admired him as a winner, I hate him as a cheater.

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

This is too apropos, I couldn't resist posting this cartoon.

[​IMG]

SKYLINEDRIVE likes this.
  20. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

It seems generally accepted that doping is wide spread in this sport, so shouldn't everyone be stripped of their wins? Armstrong played the game as everyone else did, he just did it better than most. American 'juiced' players will eventually make it into their respective hall of fames, should it be any different for what is called the 'dirtiest sport of the world'?