Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lego Concentration Camp kits ..?

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by PizzaDevil, Feb 2, 2011.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Bro, you said a mouth full and I agree. Heck, If the deceased in the pic happened o be a relative or friend of mine or something? i'd be very disgusted and teed off on seeing the abuse of them being displayed on the net, like mere common objects. If I can leave reps, you got em ;-))

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi F/ my sentiments exactly. I just do not see any purpose of some guy claiming its art, showing toys made into some sick twisted images needed. Also, I fully agree with you also on the JApanese front. I have a good friend in Japan by the first name of Sanada. He and I are huge John Wayne fans. We got along great till the subject of things (in private off topic discussions) like: the Rape of Nanking and such came up. It was a bit tough and go at times but, I finally helped him see the light of things. In a way, I couldnt blame him for the views he had-that is, untill he got educated on what really happened. Sanada explained to me that the history he learned was more like a 600 page book, with 1 & 1/2 pages on WWII. Since then, Sanada has learned much and is always apoligising to me for what hie ancestors did.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Diane, welcome to the site, and also, nice website you have. Im a bit of a fan of the Irish Guards ;-))

That said, some stuff you said above hit the nail on the head-about censorship and such and what if all Swaz's were airbrushed out of photos and such. To me, that would be a wrong approach to take in trying to teach or show someone actual history and such. I was in German vacationing for a month-back in 2000. From what I was told, it is against th elaw for anyone to brandish something with a Swaz on it. In public, you don't see them on public view-unless your in a Museum or some place like that? I visited Uboats, Museums, Archives, a Knights Cross recipient, and quite a few other WWII German Veterans. Many of them were leeery as to my motivation for being in Germany, they soon found out I was legit, and not someone who condones nazi garbage.

As for collecting Militaria, I do. My reasons for collecting it-started with an interest in WWII history instilled in me by my parents as well as other relatives who served and of course, the eary Sat and Sunday morning visits of many vets who came by to spend time chatting with my Dad-who is a 2 war vet-WWII-Korea, and to share stories, drink copious amounts of Folgers Coffee, and smoke ciggarettes. I was lucky that I got to listen to the war stories of many of these guys, none of which are now living. One vet I barely remember-was a WWI Vet, by the last name of Cole. Mr. Cole was an Captain in the Infantry who served in France as a Doughboy. I remember sitting on his lap many times listening to him talk about things that happened there. Sadly, I no longer remember any of his stories, as this was when I was about 5--almost 40 years ago.

Then, it took abotu another 5 years before I started getting interested in reading about the war. Some of my interest came with watching episodes of COMBAT, on TV Saturdays at noon. More interests came when watching war movies and such. Still more, came from my parents and such. At 15, I got my very first piece of WWII German Militaria. It was a Kriegsmarine Destroyer War Badge, that my Grandfather got, which was given to him, by the man who it had been awarded to. That man gave him that award as an act of friendship. My Grandfather gave him him Marines Medal (which is a Merchant Marine award) that was for War Wounded. Not a lot of those were awarded for Merchant Mariners-some 5,000-odd awarded-so is a relatively scarce award-more rarer than the Germans Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, the U.K.s Victoria Cross and so on.

After that, it was about another 10 years before I bought any other WWII German item-a Black Wound Badge. From then on, I sometimes get things sent to my bt the German Vet who the item was awarded to-Iron Crosses, East Front medal, Panzer Officers Collartabs, Uboat officers Overseas Cap, things like that. They gave me these items out of friendship and also knowing that I look at them as objects of history and not objects to worship.

I collect WWII German stuff, but only Military items, I refuse to collect anything nazi party-related.

You will find others here who also collect WWII German stuff, none of them eaither, idolize and worship those items in their possession-that have Swaz's on them. I dont either. However, I will say, that part of my interest in collecting now, is that some of their badges and such CAN be looked at as works of art-meaning that only because of great designs. For example, a Pilots Badge consisted of an Eagle in a Wreath-with talons clutching a Swaz. A MAn who served in Uboats, would have a bache consisting of a Uboat inside of a wreath. A man serving in the Infantry, had a badge consisiting of a rifle inside a wreath of Oak Leaves. See what I mean? ;-))

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Diane, welcome to the site, and also, nice website you have. Im a bit of a fan of the Irish Guards ;-))

That said, some stuff you said above hit the nail on the head-about censorship and such and what if all Swaz's were airbrushed out of photos and such. To me, that would be a wrong approach to take in trying to teach or show someone actual history and such. I was in German vacationing for a month-back in 2000. From what I was told, it is against the law for anyone to brandish something with a Swaz on it. In public, you don't see them on public view-unless your in a Museum or some place like that? I visited Uboats, Museums, Archives, a Knights Cross recipient, and quite a few other WWII German Veterans. Many of them were leary as to my motivation for being in Germany, they soon found out I was legit, and not someone who condones nazi garbage.

As for collecting Militaria, I do. My reasons for collecting it-started with an interest in WWII history instilled in me by my parents as well as other relatives who served and of course, the early Sat and Sunday morning visits of many vets who came by to spend time chatting with my Dad-who is a 2 war vet-WWII-Korea, and to share stories, drink copious amounts of Folgers Coffee, and smoke ciggarettes. I was lucky that I got to listen to the war stories of many of these guys, none of which are now living. One vet I barely remember-was a WWI Vet, by the last name of Cole. Mr. Cole was an Captain in the Infantry who served in France as a Doughboy. I remember sitting on his lap many times listening to him talk about things that happened there. Sadly, I no longer remember any of his stories, as this was when I was about 5--almost 40 years ago.

Then, it took about another 5 years before I started getting interested in reading about the war. Some of my interest came with watching episodes of COMBAT, on TV Saturdays at noon. More interests came when watching war movies and such. Still more, came from my parents and such. At 15, I got my very first piece of WWII German Militaria. It was a Kriegsmarine Destroyer War Badge, that my Grandfather got, which was given to him, by the man who it had been awarded to. That man gave him that award as an act of friendship. My Grandfather gave him him Marines Medal (which is a Merchant Marine award) that was for War Wounded. Not a lot of those were awarded for Merchant Mariners-some 5,000-odd awarded-so is a relatively scarce award-more rarer than the Germans Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, the U.K.s Victoria Cross and so on.

After that, it was about another 10 years before I bought any other WWII German item-a Black Wound Badge. From then on, I sometimes get things sent to my bt the German Vet who the item was awarded to-Iron Crosses, East Front medal, Panzer Officers Collartabs, Uboat officers Overseas Cap, things like that. They gave me these items out of friendship and also knowing that I look at them as objects of history and not objects to worship.

I collect WWII German stuff, but only Military items, I refuse to collect anything nazi party-related.

You will find others here who also collect WWII German stuff, none of them either, idolize and worship those items in their possession-that have Swaz's on them. I dont either. However, I will say, that part of my interest in collecting now, is that some of their badges and such CAN be looked at as works of art-meaning that only because of great designs. For example, a Pilots Badge consisted of an Eagle in a Wreath-with talons clutching a Swaz. A MAn who served in Uboats, would have a badge consisting of a Uboat inside of a wreath. A man serving in the Infantry, had a badge consisting of a rifle inside a wreath of Oak Leaves. See what I mean? ;-))

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

There is a large difference between militaria objets which are authentic (repros don't count) historical items and modern toys like this. Making horror scenes with toys is not what I can art and justify this with educational grounds, is a bit easy. If I want to lanr to learn my children about the Shoah, I will certainly not show them toys which make the unnacceptable almost "funny". It's bad taste and certainly not art. When you read between the lines you find the real reason: The Swastika sells and the reason these things were made is because there is money behind them and some idiots ready to pay a fortune for these so called rare things (which besides could be made exactly alike by anybody, providing they ge tthe same bricks, so the art aspect doesn't work for me either. ) it should neither be banned , nor promoted, just ignored and despised, not actually worth a discussion, certainly not buying.

Hufflepuff and C.Evans like this.
  6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skip, couldnt agree more on what you said above ;-)

Skipper likes this.
  7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

The student of WW2 history, should perhaps be a tad cautious about branding anything intended as art as somehow 'decadent'?..

~A

green slime likes this.
  8. Richard

Richard Expert

Tasteless and horrendous.

9. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Pretty tastless, but I'm not surprised. There are many weird things right or wrong in this world, especially worse that most people can easily give themselves a voice with the internet. It's better to just ignore this kind of lunacy and let the smaller circles keep to themselves. As for 'art'? I've seen weirder nazi related 'art' but this isn't weird, its more just gross.

I would love some lego sets that were era appropriate, however I will pass on the holocaust sets.

10. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Agreed. I don't think toys are the best way to help children learn about the Holocaust. Any kind of interactive "thing" just seems completely contradictory to a lot of things running through my wiring system... just plain wrong and a disservice to those who died.