Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lester Bernard Cook

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Aug 13, 2020.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"Lester Bernard Cook, who was much-decorated during a military career spanning three wars and 26 years, passed away on August 9 following a stroke.
    The Mayor of Mid and Antrim, Councillor Peter Johnston, paid tribute to Mr Cook, who was 97.
    Cllr Johnston said: “I am saddened to hear of the news of the passing of Lester Cook. I would like to offer my condolences to his family.
    Born in Des Moines, Iowa, on September 25, 1922, Lester enlisted in the Iowa National Guard while still in high school. His unit, the 168th Infantry Regt. 34th Division ‘The Red Bulls’ was activated February 10, 1941.
    Stationed in Northern Ireland, following the United States’ entry into World War Two in December 1941, he came to Sunnylands Camp, Carrickfergus, to try out for a new, elite special operations force being raised as the spearhead of all Allied offences against the enemy in the war in Europe.
    He was one of up to 2,000 men who were put through a vigorous selection process – only 500 made the cut. The new unit was officially activated on June 19, 1942.
    In a recent telephone interview, Lester said: “I had no idea what I was getting into when I saw a notice on the bulletin board about the Rangers. I was stationed in Belfast, Ireland, with the 168th Infantry.”
    He went on to serve the full tour with Darby’s Rangers. The original 1st Ranger Battalion was comprised six line companies. Eventually these would come to number 2,000 men. The Rangers were instrumental in the Allied assaults on North Africa, Sicily and Italy. 198 Rangers were brought home in May 1944, most of these men were from the ‘Original Darby’s Rangers’. This elite commando style force remains the only US military unit to be formed on foreign soil.
    Lester earned two Silver Stars, Purple Hearts and Presidential Unit Citations among many other accolades."
    www.carrickfergustimes.co.uk/news/people/carrickfergus-tribute-last-original-us-rangers-2940430