Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Let's play a game...

Discussion in 'WWII Activities and Hobbies' started by KJ Jr, Apr 8, 2018.

1. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

My son has recently become obsessed with World War II vehicles (perhaps with a nudge from myself ;)). The latest craze for the youth of America is YouTube videos where children watch other kids play with toys. I really don't understand it but it is what it is. One of these channels is dedicated to WWII toy. He loves it and now wants, in his own words, "A Sherman tank, a T-34 and a KV-1." As his birthday is soon approaching this summer I have enthusiastically decided to approve his request. I jumped on Amazon to price some items and found this gem as I was searching:

https://www.amazon.com/124-Military...=1523220214&sr=8-1&keywords=world+war+2+tanks

What doesn't belong...?

(Disclaimer: try not to be as irked as I was when you read the description of the play set)

JJWilson likes this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Namu amida butsu.

3. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

It looked to me like the toy soldiers were WW2 Era U.S Regulars, German Afrika Korps, British Commonwealth, and Japanese soldiers. The Jets and tanks obviously don't correlate wit the soldiers at all. The Tanks seem made up to me, and the only recognizable aircraft looked like either F-15's or Mig-29's F-14 Tomcat's or F-16's. Did he specify what T-34 he wanted? (T-34-76, or T-34-85)

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Na...hes only 5...lol. He got the names from the program he was watching. I found the German bag pipers in the original photo juxtaposed with the German flag hilarious. Its just pure laziness. My favorite is the description of the set.

JJWilson likes this.
  5. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

I was watching WW2 related programs at about the same age, maybe he'll carry on the interest hopefully. Yes the toys of today are wonderful examples of cheap plastic made in China.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The mix of the WWII era infantry and the modern ground + air vehicles is the first thing that stuck out to me, but quite common when it comes to plastic army men. It's petty clear the photographer of the product grouped the troops together and threw whatever flag was closest in with that group of soldiers. I did ejoy seeing the Third Reich pipers.

On a sidenote, once you've seen a few, almost all plastic army men come in the very same poses. No matter what kit you buy them in, no matter the quality, you'll see the very same soldiers in the same poses over and over.

7. Owen

Owen O

Cheap rip offs of the old Matchbox figures.

8. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Your absolutely right. I spent a good hour last night surfing the net. Same poses. The only difference I noticed was the helmet and covers. Also lots of dead German poses.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I love what looks to be an apc with the words TANK written on the side.

10. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Nothing plastic from China that my grandkids or dogs could put in their mouth.

Be safe.

KTK

11. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

It's an AAV-7 and I don't think the British use them.

12. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Hey, we can write reviews!

13. Fas

Fas New Member

Nice, we will wait it)

14. Lisa Stade

Lisa Stade New Member

Well I have no suggestions for your kid, but i think it is great he's got an interest that is different them most kids interest now. You might want to let the kid watch some of my videos on youTube, that deals with the third reich. since I was wondering how much does the kid know about ww2? I might suggest if you look into the 3rd riech brand of action figures. They do have some allied soldiers, but most figures are the Nazis, and other Nazi leaders such as Hitler.Since I am more into that era, not so much into the weaponry and war altillary of ww2. Does this kid read any books too, I do have some great suggestions when it come to Hitler and the Nazis. That are the classics, but more for the level of a Historian or a History Professor, not for a kid's level of reading.Such as John Toland's Adolf Hitler, Ian Kershaw's Hitler.Mein Kampf well i will say it open for suggestion, but is a great primary source for all ww2 Third History researcher, Historian, History Professor, History Buff, and/or a History Major.