Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Letter my Great Uncle wrote home soon after the war ended. He was still in Germany with the 6th AD.

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by jmaune1419, Apr 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jmaune1419

jmaune1419 New Member

Dearest Mother, Daddy, and Sister Oberkuchen, German
    15 August 1945

Well, I am on CQ again tonight, so I thought it would be a good time to write you a few lines. I didn't receive any mail today, the Post Office hasn't got set up yet. I think we will be able to get some mail tomorrow. We got a paper today, and that was all. I certainly hope that I get some mail tomorrow. It has almost been a week since I have heard from you.

The official word has come to us that the war is over. Oh, I am so happy that I don't know what to do or say. I am so glad that it is over, and I hope that Buck is O.K. I haven't heard from him in over two weeks. Gee, I bet those boys in the Pacific are so happy they can't keep still. It is going on so long that it is hard to believe. Peace on earth again after 14 years. I certainly hope that we don't have to live through another one.

I am listening to one of the radio programs now. They are talking about the time when the boys said goodbye to their loved ones when they left for the service. And every now and then they say "it is over." That sounds so odd to hear that phrase. I am so used to hearing "when the war is over," such and such will happen. They have been singing some of the songs that were popular in the last war such as "Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit and Bag and Smile."

What did people back in Shelby do to celebrate the ending of the war? It has just been another day for me. Of course, it has been a day I will never forget. Every time I think about the war being over, I have cold chills run up and down my spine, I am SO happy. Then I think of the close calls I had over here. I am so glad that I am going to be able to get back to the states and not worry about going to the Pacific. I hope that Buck can get back home soon. In fact, I hope if I am scheduled to get there before he does, that he can take my place. He has had it harder down in the Pacific than I had it over here. I do see people that look civilized, and that is more than he has seen. No news yet as to the time that we will be going back to the states. But I am plenty sure that once I do get back there it won't be too long before I get my civilian clothes.

"Sis I bet you are just about ready to start Furman arent you? It doesn't look like I will be able to start this year with you. But next year I will be right down there with you. I haven't heard anything about the school that I put in to go to a few weeks ago. That would be a nice place to pass off the time, waiting to get back to the states. Then it would get me used to studying again. That will be pretty hard for me to do. It has been 3 years since I have been at Furman, so I certainly hope that I get to go to the school. It is just for 8 weeks. The school is somewhere in France. The news is very scarce so I will close for tonight. Good night and may God bless you and keep you till Brother and I return.

Your loving Son and Brother,
    Charles

P.S. I guess you will be able to get all of the gas that you need now, won't you Daddy? Just keep "(I cant read his handwriting here)" in good shape till I get back!