Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Letters from a Fallen Soldier: Correspondence from Willard E. Purdy during WWII

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Heartfeltzero, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

This grouping consists of two letters and a postcard. They were all written by a Willard E. Purdy. He initially served with the 68th Coast Artillery but his battalion would later be redesignated as the 895th Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalion.

Willard served in North Africa, Sicily and in Italy in the defense of the beach at Anzio. The first is a letter that was written in March 1942 while he was still in the states in Boston. The second is a postcard that was written while he was in North Africa in July 1943 shortly before he embarked for Sicily. The third is a letter he wrote in Sicily in October 1943.
    F6C97688-49DE-44BA-886C-EC6D8BD67AFC.jpeg

The first letter reads:

“March 8th 1942

Dear (?) and Hank and Don:

Well how is the snow coming, falling or is it all melted by now? It has snowed twice here but it melts as fast as it’s falls. It was beautiful today, just like a day in June, warm and nice. Yes I am gaining something terrible, every week I weigh more. I don’t know what to do, stop eating or go on a diet. The food is sure fine here, as for today we had soup, steak, French fries, carrots, cabbage, salad, coffee, bread, apple pie and ice cream. Oh what a meal. It will be bad to have to go out of here, back to army food again. We eat at the navy reception center. The furlough stopped but started today, 3% at a time so I don’t know. How long has Ray Morce been in VA?

*Back of page*

I sure was surprised about Lad and Honey. I never thought about it. I thought Elwood would be first but you never know now days do you. How was aunt Barb coming along? We have cafeteria and plenty of it, we’ll have to throw a lot away. I got a nice sleeveless sweater and wool socks from the Red Cross. Boston chapters, they sure are nice. They take care of us real good here, the navy and the people of Boston. Aren’t you working for the Red Cross? Most everyone is. Well I think I will lay down a while. Have to go on the graveyard shift 11-7 and have tomorrow off.

Love to all and write soon. “
    423E79C5-6AF2-4E1B-BEA1-7E301EEDE2C3.jpeg
    654064C7-4793-4003-B972-CBEC4B91F1E7.jpeg

The postcard reads:

“Hello Folks. How do you like this city, an arab village. We are still eating Hurley Bros (?) products yet. Love, Willard”
    C0F6F3B6-5297-4006-80D4-832979D45602.jpeg
    The last letter reads:

“Saturday
    6:45- PM

Somewhere in Sicily
    October 23rd 1943

Dear Folks:

Received your mail dated 9-28 - and was more than glad to hear from you once again. Well yesterday I hit the jack pot alright. Eleven in the course of a day, not bad huh? I am feeling fine now and hope you are the same when you get this letter. Yes I have a haircut of about an inch and 1/2 long and half of the back is actually eaten away.

So poor Don is still in Oregon yet with no furlough, oh the poor kid. Bob has been in since May and had thirteen days furlough my my. Poor Willard has been overseas a year next month and not even a days furlough. My heart bleeds for him, really. Yes that was a great race wasn’t it? That Sunday, just in time to see the plane take off. Oh this modern age, really. Bob by now should be somewhere in Florida. Marion was going to drive the car down. He is staying six weeks, then nobody knows where. I hope you can go to (?) again to see aunt Eliga with the folks. I can just see you working in your victory garden and picking your crops and all ha ha. The weather…

*next page*

here is similar to that of Florida. Warm days and cool nights. Oh the days are beautiful but the nights are usually damp and cool. Imagine, Beverly is ten years old already. I am getting old i guess alright. Thanks for the birthday greetings. I am hoping next year to be home for it, I hope.

Best of love and kisses
    • Willard”
    Unfortunately that would never happen as Willard was Killed in action 10 months later. On August 15th 1944, nearly 100,000 men landed on the beaches in southern France during “Operation Dragoon” (The southern invasion of France) . At around 9pm Willard was on an LST (LST 282) heading to shore when a lone German JU88 Bomber came over the hills ahead of the beach. The bomber released a radio controlled Henschel Hs 293 bomb. LST 282 was hit which caused a massive explosion. Over 30 men were killed with even more wounded. Willard’s body was never recovered and he was listed as missing and presumed dead. Willard’s name is listed on the “Tablet of the missing” in the American Cemetery at Draguignan, France.

00E18618-56A4-4640-832F-8D62837FDA7E.jpeg
    D2177BDF-3C19-4EE5-B0B3-B738A77A060D.jpeg