Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lieut. "Dan" Carter

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by GRW, Apr 3, 2016.

  1. GRW

    GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

    Oct 26, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Stirling, Scotland
    "Lieutenant 'Dan' Carter, who has died aged 84, lived for flying and logged nearly 12,000 hours, most of them in single seater aircraft.

    Carter was a 20-year-old sub-lieutenant when, on May 19 1952, he joined 802 Naval Air Squadron to fly the Hawker Sea Fury fighter-bomber from the carrier Ocean, while she was berthed at the naval base at Sasebo, Japan. Ocean sailed on May 28 for her sixth patrol of the Korean War and Carter was soon in action under his flight leader, Lieutenant “Hoagy” Carmichael, their tasks being mainly “bridge-busting” to halt the advance of the North Korean army.

    On August 9, however, Carmichael became the first pilot of a propeller driven aircraft to shoot down one of the Soviet-piloted, high-performance MiG-15 jets . The next morning, with Carter as Carmichael’s wingman, four Sea Furies bombed a bridge at Chaeryong and they were carrying out photo reconnaissance along the North Korean coast when Carter spotted two MiGs, and then six more. The Sea Furies released their drop-tanks and, for the second time in two days, Carmichael and his flight engaged in an aerial dogfight. During ten minutes’ desperate twisting through the sky, Carter fired two bursts at 600 yards at two separate MiGs, without visible result, and as the MiGs were seen to be to be heading northwards, one of them trailing smoke, the Sea Furies entered cloud.

    On a second sortie that afternoon, Carter bombed another bridge, but on his return to Ocean the arrester wire malfunctioned and tore the hook off his aircraft. He crashed into the barriers.

    Robin Michael Carter was born on June 17 1931 at Elmer Sands, West Sussex, and educated at Sutton Valence School, Kent. His father, a vicar’s son, died of wounds received more than a decade earlier in the First World War and he was brought up by his mother, a shepherd’s daughter, and her parents. After running the post office at Middleton-on-Sea, his mother made a living by developing property .

    In 1950 Carter followed his brother Jack into the Fleet Air Arm. He was not discouraged when he heard that on the night of May 19 1955 Jack had rolled off the bows of the carrier Hermes in a Sea Venom and needed to be picked out of the water by helicopter."

Share This Page