Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Life in Modena during German Occupation and Allied Advance

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by 8thalop, Jan 21, 2011.

1. 8thalop

8thalop recruit

I am gathering information for a novel and interested in life in the Modena area, particularly 1944 - April 1945. Rural life of Italian families is of particular interest; whether they were allowed to continue to worship; mode of transportation; if the children still attended school; food shortages and how they coped; how much personal property was confiscated? If it is possible to correspond directly with someone who lived there or served in the military at that time and location, it would be much appreciated.

2. Giles

Giles Member

Hi,
    During the allied advance on Modena and the Po Valley, the Germans committed one of the worst atrocities of the war. The town of Marzabotto, just south of Bologna, was a the site of a terrible massacre. Earlier, a German General was killed by local partisans. The German reaction was ferocious. For a great read on this subject, see "Silence on Monte Sole," by Jack Olsen (1968). This book will give you details of everyday life up to and after the massacre. An incredible read and it might be helpful for your novel. Olsen was able, in 1968, to speak with survivors so you'll get the flavor of the area. The killings took place in the fall of 1944. Best of luck with your book, Giles

3. 8thalop

8thalop recruit

Thank you so much. I was aware of the massacre but not the book. It will be of great value, I'm sure. Thanks again.