Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lightweight Vehicles

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Slipdigit, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I probably will, A, but only because you are a bigger swine and a British one at that.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I meant General Leclerc's Free French forces, or perhaps the first person was some enterprising GI who zoomed in ahead. No matter, I found it amusing that this civilian guy was more impressed with the jeep than with liberation itself.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Geeze. First glimpse of an air dropped minibike. ..Enjoyed that a lot. My first MB was about the same size. Pa coloured it deep purple and put it under the Xmas tree. Then a Honda Trail 70cc (yawn), then a Kawasaki 75cc (loved it)- had folding handle bars and could climb a virgins leg. Then Suzuki on/off 125cc with a switchable transmission. That was cool. A kick with your heal, and ur in low drive. Then yada yada up until the famous CB750. And that's when I stopped riding mean machines. Too easy to die. Was lucky in retrospect.
    Thanks for the pics and info.

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I sometimes think the Welbike & Cushman live on in the Monkey Bike.

[​IMG]
    My brother has one not dissimilar to the above rotting in a shed... nobody is quite sure why, and I suspect, neither is he...

Leclerc tank named after Leclerc - yes.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In high school, I had a friend who rode one these. he was about 6-2, so he pretty much covered it up completely, riding it with his knee up around his ears. The rest of us had sensible wheels. Mine was a Yamaha 250 Enduro that was a tad heavy for my 115 lb. frame. Nowadays, I ride a four-wheeler that though it lacks the fun of two wheels, it is much better when hauling stuff cross-country, which armies seem to do.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

7. Takao

Takao Ace

It was part of an advert campaign for Honda motorcycles back in the '70s, with the twins riding across the US to show the durability of Honda bikes.

Back then, "made in Japan" and "Honda" did not have quite the same meaning in the US that they now enjoy.
    http://goodsparkgarage.com/the-motorcycling-mccrary-twins/

Poppy likes this.