Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Listing of US awards

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by pistol, Jul 1, 2013.

1. pistol

pistol Member

I'm looking for a list of Medals of Honors and other awards given to US soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge. Does anyone know if such a list exists on the internet?

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

As far as I know, the closest there is is the Medal of Honor Society website. It does list all MoH recipients, but not by specific battles. The search function, in my experience, is only good for looking up names.

I did come across a website which purports to list all the BotB MoH recipients. I don't know if it is complete, though.

I am unaware of any similarly comprehensive listing for the lesser medals (i.e. DSC, SS, BSM, etc.). There is are websites that maintain lists of medal recipients (i.e. Home of Heroes), but they acknowledge that they are not complete.

I will defer to anyone else who might have better options.

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

You might also look at the "Military Times Hall of Valor" (typing this from a mobile phone, so I don't have the link handy).

The MoH lists are relatively easy to find (even Wikipedia has a good one), and DSC's are available. I believe that Home of the Heroes has the most complete list out there. To my knowledge, complete lists for Silver Stars and lower are not available on the internet.

I know that some older books included a complete list of award recipients -- this may be the best route. On this note, do the US Army "Green Books" include a list of award recipients?

4. pistol

pistol Member

George and TD thank you both so much, I will have a look at the sites/sources you suggested.

On the Home of Heroes site I already noticed that 6 Medals of Honor were awarded to soldiers that fought near the Elsenborn ridge in Dec 1944.

RICHARD ELLER COWAN Company M, 23d Infantry, 2d Infantry Division.
    Near Krinkelter Wald, Belgium, 17 December

TRUMAN KIMBRO Company C, 2d Engineer Combat Battalion, 2d Infantry Division.
    Near Rocherath, Belgium, 19 December

JOSE M. LOPEZ 23d Infantry, 2d Infantry Division
    Near Krinkelt, Belgium, 17 December

VERNON McGARITY Company L, 393d Infantry, 99th Infantry Division.
    Near Krinkelt, Belgium, 16 December

WILLIAM A. SODERMAN Company K, 9th Infantry, 2d Infantry Division.
    Near Rocherath, Belgium, 17 December

HENRY F. WARNER Antitank Company, 2d Battalion, 26th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division.
    Near Dom Butgenbach, Belgium, 20-21 December

The amount of Medals of Honor for one battle looks quite exceptional, doesn't it?