Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lockerbie's tragic day remembered

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Kai-Petri, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | South of Scotland | Lockerbie's tragic day remembered

A series of events will take place in Lockerbie this weekend to mark the 20th anniversary of the atrocity which claimed 270 lives in the town.

Pan Am Flight 103 was blown out of the skies over the south of Scotland on 21 December 1988.

It crashed to earth on Lockerbie, killing all 259 passengers and crew on board and 11 people on the ground.

A number of small ceremonies are planned in the town on Sunday to remember those who lost their lives.

Events will also take place in America to honour the victims of the bombing.

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

In one of the most bizarre photos I've seen this year - The Guardian published yesterday an aerial view of a scrapyard 'somewhere in Britain' where, in a fenced-off compound, still sit the remnants of the Lockerbie 747.

I remember it so clearly - it was a ghastly and tragic crime, and I felt ( and still do feel ) so distressed at the victims and their families.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I remember that tragedy all too well. I was at home-with a bad case of the Flu-when CNN started airing news reports about it. It's hard to believe that it's been 20 years already. Hopefully we will all be around to say that about 9/11.

4. Piat

Piat Member

Yet less than one year on one of the persons responsible for it gets released from prison and a hero’s welcome :rolleyes:

5. Richard

Richard Expert

A Black day and 20 years on we still don't have the full facts and probably never will.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I was quite disheartened to read of this criminal's release on "humanitarian grounds". Life in prison shouldn't be cut short just so you can go home to die. I also didn't think much of releasing Biggs so he could die outside of a jail cell. But at least Biggs was simply a thief, not a murdering SOB who seems to still, today, take a twisted pride in his "accomplishment".

Gaddafi making an earlier claim that the Royal Family had something to do with this release is less than credible, but when dealing with that fellow what is to be expected?

See:

Gaddafi hugs Lockerbie bomber; Britain denies deal - Yahoo! News

And the FBI director’s comments and letter can be read here:

FBI director outraged by Lockerbie bomber release - Yahoo! News

I repeat, I am disappointed in the court decision of Scotland. That is not my domain of knowledge however, but am still disappointed.

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

I agree, Clint. Compassion is one thing, but this is beyond understanding. Life should mean life. So the man is dying. He is still accountable for his actions and should have remained in prison until the end.

8. Richard

Richard Expert

Politics, oil & gas...lay behind his release.

Thats a debate for the stump forum.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Richard, I suspect your 100% correct. Also, I still can't believe that its been 20 years since that atrocity was committed and I still can't believe they let that freak out. Disgusting to say the least. :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :headbash:

10. blacksnake

blacksnake Member

It's the word "Compassion" that I can't get over. after all, this guy wasn't behind bars for robbery, embezzlement or pinching milk off a neighbours doorstep ... The B****rd MURDERED - 243 passengers, 16 crew, plus 11 people on the ground !!!! 270 lives lost (inc. 180 Americans & 52 Brits) ... With them, 270 families whose lives will never be the same.

And this 'person' is released on "compassionate" grounds, because he's only got 3 months to live :dazed: ... What, compared to those on board (that survived the initial blast) who had less than 3 minutes before it was all over !!:headbash:

Wouldn't the 'compassionate' thing be, to push him out the door at 30,000 feet ?? :birds:

A-58, wtid45 and C.Evans like this.
  11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Agreed. Why should the killer be freed because he has cancer. How much did he think of the people he killed? None. So no release would have been the correct call. Well, let´s hope now there is no miracle cure for the disease once he is released....

C.Evans likes this.
  12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Sad world.... this potential oil contract will be sealed with the blood of those who were murdered by those terrorists. Lest we forget .

13. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

I could not agree more Chris, but sadly it seems the memory of of those killed seems less important than the price of oil seems we have been here before:(

14. Richard

Richard Expert

Indeed oil & gas...

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I suppose the live of several dozen innocents does not balance high economical interests. It might seem logical but, it still makes me vomit, I'd rather buy my oil elsewhere than drive on blood stained lybian oil. I honestly regret the days when Reagan was around at least he knew how to deal with the scum. I suppose oil is getting scarce , so am I , as I'm still from the old school ....

16. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

release!!! it should never have been a point for discussion,someone knows the reasons! compassion my a..e...

17. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Found this yesterday, but couldn't get back on the forum until now (10:54 am Mountain time). Thought it was apropos:

Attached Files:

18. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

mmmmmmmm!!!!!!! very apt clint...

19. Richard

Richard Expert

Close to the knuckle.