Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

London's Third Mayor Could Be Its First Muslim Mayor

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Ben Dover, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Only as a reflection of the interests of the US Conservative press. The BBC have not bothered to cover the story.

The Breitbart story did not mention that the exodus started with the 75% "millionaires tax" and adoption of Belgian and Russian citizenship might be more to do with tax than Islamophobia. Nor is the port of Dover besieged by Frenchies seeking to escape.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thank you.
    London seems to have a lot of folks involved with the Panama affair in recent news...hope that is relevant too.
    Read AU was a big recipient of fleeing millionaires.

Anyone notice the hypocrisy of politicians and wealthy - they don't want to play by the same rules we are expected to.

Our former PM Brian Mulroney was caught red handed with an envelope stuffed with cash.
    U2, a humanitarian band all happiness and light- decided not to pay their fair share of tax in Ireland.
    They don't practice what they preach.

4. m kenny

m kenny Member

Let me explain something. The UK has millions of Muslims. I see them every day. I live near a few. My children played with their children. They went to school together. I have been out with a Muslim woman. In short there is none of the hysterical over-reaction in the UK that seems to routine in the USA when someone 'spots' a muslim. Frankly I would hate to live in a country so obsessed with Islamaphobia that every adult seems to spend their entire waking lives in mortal fear.
    I lived through the IRA campaigns in the 70s-80s and though the danger was real we survived without demonising all Roman Catholics.

denny likes this.
  5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I'm Canadian. We just flew in 25,000 Syrians (and boy, are my arms tired).
    Calgary (1.2 million) has a Muslim mayor. ..Go to any large job/neighborhood here and it'd look like the united nations hit the fan.
    We are aboot to celebrate our 149th birthday. We are built on immigrants.
    My gf is Fillipina, my son is 1/4 Cree.
    You assume too much.

6. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

Ken 'Congestion Charge' Livingstone or Borris 'Bike' Johnson...

I wonder what, if anything, the next mayor of London's stamp on the capitial'll be.

7. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

The panama story is relevant. Follow the money -r political interests. Cameron has staked his political career on keeping Britain in the EU, siding against the most active members of his own party.

In the middle of this journalists from the Sunday Times publish the evidence of widespread tax avoidance through offshore trusts. This disproportionately huirst Cameron who needs to play down his image as a wealthy privileged member of the establishment. The ST is a Murdoch publication. Murdoch (a tax exile whose businesses pay very little tax) is a staunch advocate of Brexit, because he has more influence over small independent countries than big ones. (It cost him a lot more to influence the USA which is why he took US citizenship)

8. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Amen to that. I also live in the UK, have a wonderful Muslim family as neighbours, been to 2 daughters weddings and was the first person that they called on when the mother collapsed. I eat often in Muslim run restaurants and buy in their stores. They brought over plates of food for my son (in his 20's) when he came home from work as my husband and I were away on holiday. We exchange Christmas cards and small presents. They are part of my community and are like everyone else with their hopes and fears for the future.

Martin Bull likes this.
  9. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Actually the "Boris Bike" Scheme was in place by Red Ken. Boris' true memorial will be the Dubai skyline of the skyscrapers he has approved despite objections from Local councils.

10. lwd

lwd Ace

???? Bully for you but you obviously have no idea what takes place in the USA.
    FYI not far from where I live is the town of Dearborn , MI. It has quite a large population of Muslim residents as do many of the other communities in SE Michigan. Furthermore people of Mid Eastern decent run most of the conveyance stores and many of the gas stations in this area. There is simply put no such reaction here.

11. lwd

lwd Ace

Sounds like you don't know exactly what it entails either. My understanding is that when practiced in most Western Countries it's an option that has to be agreed upon by both participants and is only applicable to civil cases. Female circumcision is a different matter entirely and I've seen a fair amount of discussion of it over time.

The problem with labels like "left" and "right" or "liberal" and "conservative" is that they impose a single dimensional picture of a multidimensional space. Furthermore it's becoming progressively clearer to me that said space is non Euclidean.

12. toki2

toki2 Active Member

I agree Lwd and in UK it cannot overturn existing laws. Sharia law, here is a family, marriage and re-conciliation service (similar to others run by religious institutions like RC). It is an option, instead of using a national facility. It has nothing to do with circumcision, beheading or stoning.

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

sharia bypasses all that our forefathers fought for. sharia ignores our already set laws which should take precedent.
    That anyone would advocate or tolerate the subjectivication of women/ gays/ other religions by sharia in Western lands is intolerable and shameful.
    Maybe a definition is in order :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

The dead (either sides) ww2 combatants would not be happy about the way things are going. they fought for what?
    Certainly not sharia
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/10/thought-europes-muslims-gradually-blend-britains-diverse-landscape-known-better/

Look at that Bradford skyline...think any ww2 vets/dead would be happy aboot it.
    Was it Sweden who has banned new minaret construction? Wonder why, seeing as how there are no problems.

LJAd likes this.
  14. lwd

lwd Ace

Again in all the cases I've heard of where "sharia" has been accepted in western countries it does not by any means take precedent over existing laws. It merely provides a framework that both sides have to agree with to resolve civil disputes. The parts that deal with criminal law are not accepted or enforceable. If two people can agree to a framework to peacefully resolve their differences why should it matter what that framework is?

15. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

True, but the common acceptance of these religious laws by some British Muslims and Jews (and by other sects with theior own codes of conduct) means that women in particular can be faced with the choice of accepting settlements that are highly discriminatory and unfair or be ostracised by their family and friends. E.g. Ultra Othodox Jewish women have abide by some very restrictive codes of conduct. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35978328 and the Law society has been heavily criticized for offering practice notes for settling wills under Sharia La\w that advise that "llegitimate and adopted children are not Sharia heirs … The male heirs in most cases receive double the amount inherited by a female heir … Non-Muslims may not inherit at all …a divorced spouse is no longer a Sharia heir…" http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2014/09/law-society-under-growing-pressure-over-sharia-wills-guidance

16. lwd

lwd Ace

That can be a problem but a similar issue can arise from any mediated dispute. In some of the case above I think, at least in the US, it moves beyond simple civil dispute as well. For instance in the case of divorce US law is pretty specific on what the rights of divorcees are and that would not be up for debate. As for who inherits other wise there are specific laws that regulate this in the absence of a will which takes precedence. If a sharia ruling was in contravention to the law I am pretty sure it would not hold up if challenged in a regular court.

17. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

As it is legal to have money in Panama, there is nothing wrong with the whole question : besides, tax harbours/heavens exist only because there are tax hells . Those who are whining about the Panama story are those who have not the means to avoid legally taxes .

18. m kenny

m kenny Member

I am afraid you are seriously out of touch with current sentiment. Those who hide their money offshore as seen as outcast. All the pol ls show Sanders beats all other candidates in a straight fight and we know what Bernie would do to these pirannas. Vampires who suck the life out of a country and leave others to clean up their mess.

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Hear hear MKenny.
    Bernie made 200,000 last year. Less than 1 speech on wall street by hillary.
    That people can't see that the clintons are elite and don't give a fig about the average American is bewildering.

20. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

I just voted, got 2 votes for the Mayor of London, main choice and 2nd choice (2nd choice is only used if no one receives 50% of the vote);
    I voted for outsider candidate for CISTA: Lee Harris, and my 2nd choice; I voted for Labour candidate Sadiq Khan.