Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for an old Army Regulation

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by RichTO90, Aug 11, 2018.

1. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

I am trying to find a copy of AR 705-14 Assigning Popular Names to Major Items of Equipment , which was first promulgated October 1963 or its successor AR 70-28 of 4 April 1969.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Have you inquired at the Center for Military History?

3. RichTO90

Yeah, either USAMHI/AHEC or CMH likely have a copy, but I'm impatient at best and also now west rather than east coast, so the time zones make completing phone calls interesting.

4. OpanaPointer

And the National Archives don't have a copy?

5. RichTO90

Last I checked, they're on the east coast too. :D However, yes, my search will probably extend to them eventually since USAMHI/AHEC are not all that responsive anymore.

6. OpanaPointer

San Bruno.

7. RichTO90

Holds permanent records created by Federal agencies and courts in the following areas:
    • California (northern and central)
    • Nevada (except Clark County)
    • Hawaii
    • U.S. Navy bases on foreign territory in the Pacific and Far East
    • American Samoa
    • Guam
    • former Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands
    I'm just not seeing where they hold rescinded Army ARs. I know USAMHI/AHEC does, but they are increasingly problematic to deal with unless you are a current or former AWC student. I have heard from reliable sources that even Ridgway Hall at AHEC, which is supposedly public access, now prefers to do the federal employee two-step rather than actually assist in research requests (I miss the days when you were likely to walk into the door and have Dr. Richard Sommers eagerly volunteer to act as your research assistant, but they were new, not frequently visited, and easily bored in those halcyon days I suppose. Now, even the website will not allow you to perform research requests and the search function for their digital online archive is virtually non-functional (a problem endemic to gubmint websites), while, also as usual for a gubmint website, most links are actually dead ends.

8. lwd

lwd Ace

Another possibility is to check and see if it's available on inter library loan. There may be one somewhere that has a copy and your local library might be able to get it for you.

9. RichTO90

Possible, but it is likely a two or three-page document, rather than a complete book. I have hopes the Pentagon Library may come through.

10. RichTO90

Okay, well the Pentagon Library came through! Yes, AR 705-14, 31 October 1963, was the first official recognition for assigning popular names to major items of Army equipment. It confirmed the unofficial policy set forth in DA Memo 705-3, 21 July 1959. The categories and suggested names were;

(1) Infantry weapons-famous early American pioneers. Examples: CROCKETT, CARSON, CODY, and BOONE.
    (2) Field artillery weapons-action nouns.Examples: KILLER, CONQUERER, PEACEMAKER, and DESTROYER.
    (3) Air defense artillery weapons-action nouns. Examples: DEFENDER, PROTECTOR, BLOCKER, and SHIELD.
    (4) Tanks-American generals. Examples: LEE, JACKSON, STUART, WASHINGTON, MEADE, and HOOKER.
    (5) Armored combat vehicles (less tanks) - animals associated with speed. Examples: CHEETA, COUGAR, PANTHER, and LEOPARD.
    (6) Antitank and assault weapons-vicious reptiles and insects. Examples: COBRA, RATTLESNAKE, COPPERHEAD, VIPER, WASP, HORNET,
    SCORPION, and TARANTULA.
    (7) Army aircraft-Indian terms and names of American Indian tribes and chiefs. Examples: MOHAWK, IROQUOIS, CHEROKEE, GERONIMO, and TECUMSEH.
    (8) Communications, electronic and surveillance equipment-words descriptive of the function of the equipment. Examples: SENTRY, MASTER, and SCOUT.
    (9) Engineer mobility equipment-animals associated with building, construction, industriousness, or strength. Examples: MOLE, FERRET, BADGER, BEAR, and BUFFALO.

Note that the only World War II relevant popular names retained were for the tanks, while WOLVERINE remains ever elusive. [​IMG]

Cheers!

George Patton and Takao like this.
  11. OpanaPointer

Did you make me a copy?

12. RichTO90

Go to Pentagon Digital Library, click on "catalog", type in "AR 705-14", download PDF.

It was actually too damned simple. :D

13. OpanaPointer

I'm allergic to the five-sided puzzle box.

14. RichTO90

The library people are pretty cool there...and when I was a kid I used to hitch rides with the messengers, so I've always kind of liked the place. :)