Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for info about my uncle

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Stephen Smith, May 6, 2017.

1. Stephen Smith

Stephen Smith New Member

My uncle's name was Walter L. Blocker. When I was a child he told me about being in the Battle of the Bulge. I know that he was a medic and that he was awarded a Silver Star for his actions during the Battle of the Bulge. I found his name in an index of Silver Star recipients. Is there a way to find a description of why he was awarded the Silver Star? I found a little bit of history of VIII Corps in Wikipedia. I would appreciate any help with finding out more about his service in WWII or at least more about his unit's service.

Blocker, Walter L. HQ, VIII Corps, G.O. No. 46 (1945)

P.S. Uncle Walter told me a story when I was a child about hiding in a wine cellar in a village with a wounded soldier he had pulled into the cellar with him. After they went into the cellar the village was occupied by the German Army. This was during the Battle of the Bulge. He told me how he could hear the Germans walking around upstairs. It seems like he said they were there about a week before the village was recaptured by Americans.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Stephen Smith likes this.
  3. Stephen Smith

Stephen Smith New Member

4. lwd

lwd Ace

5. Stephen Smith

Stephen Smith New Member

Thank you. Unfortunately since I'm not an immediate family member I can't request my uncle's military records.

6. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Stephen Smith likes this.
  7. lwd

lwd Ace

I think at least some of these records are now considered "historical" and available to the public. Just checked if he was discharged prior to 1955 the records are open to the public. See:
    Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Holdings

The freedom of information act mentioned above may also work but that's a different process and personnel records are often exempted from FOIA requests. A medal citation shouldn't be though.

Some of the following don't require you to be next of kin:
    NARA - AAD - List of Series - Genealogy/ Personal History: Military Personnel
    Table of Contents

More info can be found at:
    https://www.archives.gov/files/research/military/ww2/ww2-participation.pdf

8. 693FA

693FA Member

Stephen,
    Do the request anyway through St. Louis using the SF-180 form and in the other section list the General order # for the Silver Star award. I've done it with several family members(uncles) and used the "genealogy" reason as part of my request. You might get some good stuff I know I have. Good Luck!
    Regards
    Clint

TD-Tommy776 and Stephen Smith like this.