Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for newspaper photo 1944 Breskens 52nd lowland division

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by GlassFairy, Oct 21, 2015.

1. GlassFairy

GlassFairy New Member

My grandfather Albert Edward Speller was in the 52nd lowland division. They fought in Breskens, Holland in 1944. He got his photo taken by a reporter with a fellow soldier while they were loading ammo into a pram. The photo was printed in a national newspaper (english).

This is a long shot but if anyone knows of this photo or has a copy of the article, i would greatly appreciate it.

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!
    I'll have a trawl through some of my own papers. If not, one of our members might find it in their own collection-

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Try a library and consult National Newspaper archives from September to December 1944. The Times would be a good start. Most libraries have archives of national newspapers

4. GlassFairy

GlassFairy New Member

Thank you for the swift replies! I live in a remote area in Ireland and my local library does not have uk newspaper archives. Anywhere online i can search? I'd be so happy to find a copy of this image :)

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Try contacting the British Library, or the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. I'm pretty sure both have copies of every issue of every British paper that ever appeared.

6. Arthur124

Arthur124 Member