Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for political/geographical Civil War info

Discussion in 'Military History' started by KnightMove, Nov 7, 2003.

1. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

I'm looking for a website giving info about the American Civil War, including:

* The sides, all respective states, and most important data of either (population, army, budget...)

* Maps showing how the war went on.

* Detailed casualty list for the states, the better distinguishing soldiers/civilian losses.

* Political consequences (e.g., when the respective state had been restored)

Anybody have a hint pls?

[ 07. November 2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: KnightMove ]

2. Squirrel

Squirrel Member

There were eleven states that seceded from the United States. In order of their secession, they are:
    -South Carolina
    -Alabama
    -Florida
    -Texas
    -Georgia
    -Louisiana
    -Mississippi
    -Arkansas
    -North Carolina
    -Virginia
    -Tennessee

There overall population was about nine million (about three million were slaves.)

There were twenty-three states that did not leave the United States. I have listed them in order that they joined the Union.
    -Delaware
    -Pennsylvania
    -New Jersey
    -Connecticut
    -Massachusetts
    -Maryland
    -New Hampshire
    -New York
    -Rhode Island
    -Vermont
    -Kentucky
    -Ohio
    -Indiana
    -Illinois
    -Maine
    -Missouri
    -Michigan
    -Iowa
    -Wisconsin
    -California
    -Minnesota
    -Oregon
    -Kansas
    -West Virginia (Officially seperated from Virginia on June 20, 1863.)

At the time of the Civil War there were about twenty-two million people in these states.

The Confederate States were all restored at the same time. The terms of surrender where to have the southern armies put down their arms and to stop fighting. The people in those states also had to give freedom to all their slaves. There were no real consequences for the southerners because the generals wanted the United States to be together. (The generals decided terms of surrender which made the politicians in Washington mad.) Also, my great-great-great-grandfather fought in the Civil and died of a disease. [​IMG]

3. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Thx Squirrel (I'm still looking for the other info, if someone knows). Are noteworthy numbers of people from non-constituted territories to be known to have fought on either side?

This map shows Texas, Missouri and Virginia not restored yet in the 1868 election.

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election%2C_1868

[ 08. November 2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: KnightMove ]

4. Squirrel

Squirrel Member

The map says that Texas, Alabama, and Virginia were "Unreconstructed" not unrestored. Unreconstructed means that the state had not been fully rebuilt. Maybe I should have said that the states were accepted back into the union at the same time. The North never accepted the Confederate States of America as a country and continued to have 33 and later 34 stars on their flag. [​IMG]

5. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

I see.

Do you also know an itemazation of total losses?

6. J Penn

J Penn Member

On a related topic, does anyone know of any American Civil War internet forums that are on the level of scholarly quality and easy navigability as this one?