Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for unit information

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by kurtwood2, Oct 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. kurtwood2

kurtwood2 recruit

I am looking for information from some of you WW2 historians. I am a caretaker for an individual who was in the Pacific theatre, and am looking for some information on his unit.

He states that he was in Pearl a few days after the attack, and he describes that in great detail. He said he was US Army 560th Artillery, and he was attached to the 2nd Marine Division. Other than that, his stories kind of get garbled. I have been looking, but am unable to find anything relevant.

If someone can help me with some information about these guys...I'd appreciate it a lot.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I don't find any type of artillery unit (FA, CA or AAA) numbered "560" that could have been at Pearl Harbor in Dec 1941.

The only artillery units that I can find numbered 560 are a FA battalion that formed in 1943 and a AAA unit that also formed in 1943.

Are you certain of this information?

3. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Could potentially be 56th Coast Artillery, although it seems in 1941 they were in California, perhaps some detachments went to Hawaii?

Seems unlikely

4. WW 2 Connections

WW 2 Connections Member

Respectfully, I could find no "US Army 560th Artillery" unit "attached to the 2nd Marine Division" during WW 2. There were US Army Field Artillery units as well as AAA units attached to the 2nd Marine Division during WW 2, but nome with the numerical designation of "560th". Would you check again with the Veteran as to the island that the 2nd Marine Division was on when the "560th Artillery" was attached?

Richard V. Horrell